No announcement yet.

treestorm weirdness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and what would you expect from the pair of hippies .
    http://www.onyxtree.com/about.html
    Luke Szeflinski
    :: www.lukx.com cgi

Comment

Originally posted by lukx
      Also there is problem when you want to use subobject for leaves your not able to convert branches to mesh!!!
      I did it this way:

make copy of the tree (without subobjects),
      For copy:convert it in mesh, then delete leaves.
      For original: convert all subobject leaves in mesh and delete trunk.
      then align them and mesh it.
      Z-Dimension WIP 1 WIP 2 WIP 3 WIP 4

Comment

Originally posted by Edge
        Originally posted by lukx
        Also there is problem when you want to use subobject for leaves your not able to convert branches to mesh!!!
        I did it this way:

make copy of the tree (without subobjects),
        For copy:convert it in mesh, then delete leaves.
        For original: convert all subobject leaves in mesh and delete trunk.
        then align them and mesh it.
        I knew the solution I'm just pointing bugs which are just wasting our time for doing lot of extra work.
        Luke Szeflinski
        :: www.lukx.com cgi

Comment

my impresion after dealing with Onyx for years is that they are very low budget and they sub out the scripting to someone esle for the max interface. They seem to have no idea about their software when it comes to max and seem unwilling to put out the money to their sub-consultant to fix problems...at least this is the way it has seemed in the past.
          They respond very badly to any criticism and their attitude in the past seemed to be, "this is what you get, take it or leave it."

It's unfortunate because they have some nice things in their software but it seems that they are more bent on promoting themselves rather than their software...
          This is just my impression. maybe others have had different experiences.
          mh

Comment

ouf, we were looking to buy this software at the office. what other suggestion would you have guys? i HATE THAT WHEN THERE IS NO SUPPORT. Anyone try Vue with Vray ? or something else that works great with trees and Vray

Comment

ive used vue trees exported from vue in vray. Since they use such large amounts of opacity maps, I can't recommend them.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Originally posted by jacksc02
                well the only way i can use it at the moment is to use treestorm to bring in the trees then convert them to mesh then convert the mesh to proxys.
                That's the exact same thing I do with the trees from Bionatics. Adding 4 or 5 trees to a scene gives me scenes of 500mb and bigger that are a pain in the ass to render.
                Using VRay proxies solves this problem. Gotta love VRay
                www.artbyarjan.com - Online portfolio (temporarily offline)
                @home:
                / AMD Phenom X4 @ 3.00Ghz / ATI HD 4890 / 8Gb Ram /
                / Vista Ultimate x64 / Max 2010 / Vray 1.5 SP3a Edu /
                @work:
                / Intel Core2Quad Q9450 @ 2.66Ghz /
                Nvidia Quadro FX 3700 / 8Gb Ram /
                / Vista Bussines x64 /

Comment

has anyone had any more luck getting treestorm not to crash constantly?
                  Chris Jackson
                  Shiftmedia
                  www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Nope - just been saving out 3DS files from the treestorm tree editor software & importing, then converting to proxies.

Sucks that no one has worked this out yet.

Comment

sadly i cant do that shroeder, i need the trees to keep there animation.
                      I have found that the max 8 version of treestorm is much more stable and reliable.
                      So i now have to get my file back from max 9 to max 8 to do separate tree passes. JOY!
                      Chris Jackson
                      Shiftmedia
                      www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

thanks for your comments everyone. I have a last question. Why does Discreet only supply some trees in their Max version. Everyone would like to have real trees animated in their exterior scene... What kind of software is use in real movies to show trees?

thanks

Comment

is there still the same problem in Max 2008 with the 64 bit version or has it been solved?

we are using 32 bit max 2008 but will make the move soon to 64 bit so i guess its important.

so the issue is stability of the trees in max if you have several in the scene like when you require them to animate? anything else?

I was wondering the other day... is there a way of exporting animated meshes to a proxy?. say if you could get 20 frames of animation stored in the proxy that repeats on the timeline, that would be cool and if there was an option for the start frame in the proxy settings so you could vary the look of the animations throughout your scene. I guess something like that may solve Jacks problem?

Comment

still no fix for 64bit sadly.
                            I have been using max 8 for all my treestorm animations and everything works perfectly.
                            Last edited by jacksc02; 22-01-2008, 05:21 AM.
                            Chris Jackson
                            Shiftmedia
                            www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Hi,

Can someone please explain how to convert a scene from Max 9 to use in Max 8? Is it simply export as 3ds or is there a script/technique that I need to find?

I am gutted to hear that Tree Storm wind doesn't work with Max 9 64 bit, that was the only reason we bought it!!!

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mike
                              Cheers, Michael.

Comment

Mike,
                                To put it bluntly its painful.
                                Exporting things to 3ds is the quickest and easiest.
                                FBX would be great if it worked with vray materials.

Sorry I could give a 1 push button answer
                                Chris Jackson
                                Shiftmedia
                                www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Working...
                                X