New mentalray in maya sp1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New mentalray in maya sp1

I just want to know - how can be those new IrradianceParticles in mr called ? Irrmap, LC... ?
    Just pretty interested in that.

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/file...leasenotes.pdf

Here's da quote:

New global illumination technique: irradiance particles
    A novel global illumination technique, Irradiance Particles (short: IP), has been
    introduced. It is, in many cases, superior to final gather and/or photon mapping
    in terms of image quality, usability and performance.

A short description of the technique may be given as follows: before rendering,
    importons are shot to the scene from the camera. Their hit positions with
    information on the amount of direct (and possibly indirect) illumination coming at
    their position (hence the name "irradiance particles") are combined into a map.
    Optionally, one or more passes of indirect illumination can be computed. The
    nature of the algorithm is that the computation is importance-driven. During
    rendering, Irradiance Particles are used to estimate the irradiance for every
    shading point; if only direct illumination is collected for irradiance particles, then
    this is equivalent to one bounce of indirect lighting. Irradiance can also be
    interpolated from precomputed values at particles' positions.
    Irradiance Particles cannot be used in combination with global illumination and
    final gathering (the options are automatically adjusted on an attempt to do so).
    However, Irradiance Particles are compatible with caustic photons.
    I just can't seem to trust myself
    So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    CG Artist

fishy isnt it. veeeery

---------------------------------------------------
    MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
    stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

yes its a form of lightcaching. Seems that auto and metal images are doing everything to rip vray off...similar UI, proxy meshes, now LC...sad
      Dmitry Vinnik
      Silhouette Images Inc.
      ShowReel:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
      https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

I don't know, it doesn't sound too much like the light cache other than the fact that particles are shot from the camera... the light cache does not need multiple passes to achieve many light bounces, while these irradiance particles do; the whole thing looks over-complicated as well.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        Last edited by vlado; 06-03-2008, 11:39 PM.
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

You DID file a patent on LC, right?
          Lele
          Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
          ----------------------
          emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

I found it something like irrmap. They could call it "Irradiance Hemispheres", as it looks like it operates like irrmap in vray.
            I just can't seem to trust myself
            So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
            ---------------------------------------------------------
            CG Artist

Comment

Working...
            X