No announcement yet.

i7 Processors..any good ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in the video he said: 4 processors 6 cores each? and then he reffers to it as a 6 core cpu! so which one is it??? I actually watched the video twice to confirm...
    so confused now
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Yes Morbid

This Mobo have 4 CPU for AMD Opteron Istanbul with 6 core. So 4 CPU x 6CORE = 24 Buchets. This is and old Mobo.

But the Best WS will be the new INTEL Xeon. Intel will produce a new Xeon with 8 CORE (Octacore) Nahalem for 4 sockets mobo. LINK

So, 4 CPU x 8 CORE= 32 physical CPU x hyperthread= 64 buckets in one PC. Muaahhhhh . But I don't want see the price...
      www.francescolegrenzi.com

VRay - THE COMPLETE GUIDE - The book
      Corona - THE COMPLETE GUIDE - The book

--- FACEBOOK ---

Comment

i see...he just reffered to it as a 6 core cpu...which kind of ment that its a single 6 core cpu, not 4 (at the end of the video)

interesting though.
        Dmitry Vinnik
        Silhouette Images Inc.
        ShowReel:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
        https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

From what I understand concerning heat and the i7s, Intel has put some fail-safes in place to ensure that the processors will first downthrottle and eventually just hard shutdown when approaching critical temps to avoid system damage. What appears as TJunction max in programs like coretemp and realtemp is the threshold for automatic shutdown. This value is labeled as "TJunction Target" for the core i7 and is currently understood to be 100C. Within 10C below that is where the processor takes control of it's multiplier and downthrottles to keep itself from reaching the TJunction max. In the event that your temps are throttling because of a bad HS seating or voltage issues, you could possibly reach TJunction max, resulting in a shutdown, but this is very very unlikely because the system will become unstable and probably crash before even hitting this threshold. Just stay away from 90C so that you don't have to test these out

From my time spent reading about and fooling with the i7 on air cooling, I personally feel that 85C as reported by a calibrated realtemp is a safe barrier when testing OC settings using small FFT stress test in Prime95, and 75C for small FFT stress temps is a good barrier for 24/7 usage. Right around 68C is Intel's stock i7 temps...but if you are really concerned with operating at Intel's default specifications then you probably shouldn't be overclocking the processor at all.
          Ben Steinert
          pb2ae.com

Comment

hi guys
            if you like, head over to my benchmarking site, you'll be able to setup a workstation profile and then easily add your render times to the database and compare to others. i've been seeing some smoking times from i7 machines. it would be nice to get more benchmarks for the vray scenes
            http://www.3dspeedmachine.com/?page=3

much thanks,
            -joe
            www.boxxtech.com

Comment

Originally posted by cecofuli View Post
              Hi QuakeMarine1

this is a test for a little Renderfarm. LINK

Software: 3ds max 2009 - 64bit
              Renderer: VRay 1.50 SP2
              HW:7 pc DualXeon quadcore
              RENDERTIME: 0h 03m 10s
              RENDERTIME for 3000*2063: 0h 33m 13s

Try to the same resolution (3000*2063), just for fun. After try 7000 px. What's you TOTAL Ghz?
              first beta quick and dirty was 9min41s in 3500px with 50 times 20ghz (400cores)
              the total Ghz is not that accurate - loading scene + preparing nodes cause wast in time
              I am not useing the Vray distributed render - I have my own solution which need to be more optimised

the same in 7k px was about 19min

all the farm eating the image the same time should be less 6 / 10 min

Comment

Here the last test with SP3. I reduce the buckets size in that .max file. Because the next Xeon will have a 16 buckets.

download

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
                AUTHOR: cecofuli

MACHINE: i7

Renderer: VRay 1.5 SP3

RAM: 6 GB

CPU TEMP : 61 °C

CPU THREAD : 8

CPU: I7 920 2.67@3.8 Ghz

RENDETIME: 16m 20sec

AUTHOR: cecofuli

MACHINE: XEON 5440 2.83 Ghz

Renderer: VRay 1.5 SP3

RAM: 8 GB

CPU TEMP : 61 °C

CPU THREAD : 8

CPU: DualXeon QuadCore E5440 2.83Ghz@3.25Ghz

RENDETIME: 15m 34sec
                Last edited by cecofuli; 09-03-2009, 01:18 PM.

--- FACEBOOK ---

Comment

hi cecofuli...im triyng to download the test scene...but the ftp asks me for a username and password...does not accept anonymous login...

thx
                  Nildo

Comment

Mmm... this work for me.

--- FACEBOOK ---

Comment

thx..will download and test it

Comment

Looks like the new Xeons are out!

http://www.boxxtech.com/products/3DB...0_Overview.asp

Comment

i7 is fantastic, overlocks very well, I have two ocd from 2.66 to 3.8ghz (100% stablility) with only small increase in voltage. They remain cool.

Speed is 2x as fast as 3.3ghz q6600 cpu's, highly recommended!
                          WerT
                          www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

the i7's hyperthreading in vray gives a 23% speed boost I just tested.... by turning it off in the bios.
                            WerT
                            www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by werticus View Post
                              the i7's hyperthreading in vray gives a 23% speed boost I just tested.... by turning it off in the bios.
                              huh? you mean by having just 4 cores instead of "8" it is faster?
                              Kind Regards,
                              Morne

Comment

I have my i7920 running at 4.0Ghz stable with air cooling system (1795 RPM).
                                my tests with prime95, I got 71C for CPU and 68-70C for cores
                                Last edited by flino2004; 21-08-2009, 07:17 PM.
                                show me the money!!

Comment

Working...
                                X