Caustic raytrace hardware video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caustic raytrace hardware video

Here is a video showing the Caustic hardware raytracing accelerator in action:

http://www.caustic.com/gallery_movies.php

So far its working only with brazil but according to the site its possible to support all renderers.

The price of the card is US $4,000 i think.
    This is a lot of money but if its really so fast like in the video it could replace my whole render farm.
    Reflect, repent and reboot.
    Order shall return.

That looks to be very promising next year.

Comment

eh, the scene was a bit crap. Doesnt look like it'd take very long to render anyway.

I want full production scenes, displacement, glossy reflections on every surface for technology videos like this. It just feels like a proof of concept otherwise.

Comment

If I were them I'd crank up the AA on the main banner pic
        Eric Boer
        Dev

Comment

I don't know why, but this really doesn't seem that revolutionary to me. Imagine what you could do with a $4000 workstation and VRayRT.

Ben Steinert
          pb2ae.com

Comment

I can't do anything with vrayRT. Hope to soon however, but........

Comment

I got some of the stuff on the Caustic card pretty wrong, so here is a pm from a very well informed source:

the caustic demo was on the caustic card, and so you know, the caustic card ONLY accelerates raycasting (no renderer itself) so the vray guys will easily be able to add support for it.. (pretty much like a switch.. if the card is there, use it) The first gen dev card is pretty slow clock-wise yes, but its mostly because its a dev board and fpga instead of the asic stuff.remember, these are only dev cards, not the actual cards joe public would buy..
              I have to say, if the cars is just a dev board, i'm curious to see what it'll do when they bump the clock up a wee bit!
              Lele
              Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
              ----------------------
              emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
              The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

I will bother some cuda/opencl guys what's their opinion on accelerating vray on gpu. Not interested in caustics board at all
                I just can't seem to trust myself
                So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
                ---------------------------------------------------------
                CG Artist

Comment

Guys, rest assured that we are looking into all kinds of stuff.

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

eheh no doubt about it, Vlado.
                    On the other hand, it's like that time before Christmas, where the imagination takes us in far places in the realm of the possible :P
                    Lele
                    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                    ----------------------
                    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

=P

why does that not surprise me....gj Vlado.
                      Ruben Gil
                      www.spvisionz.com
                      www.linkedin.com/in/s2vgroup

Comment

Working...
                      X