Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How best to achieve this

Hi

I don't model in MAX (its done in MicroStation) so i sit with pretty sharp edges. I can fillet &/ chamfer the edge in MS, but that would still leave me with a "straight" line.

I am hoping to find the best method to go from these sharp looking CAD model to having walls like the buildings in the two attached photos.

Thanks
    Attached Files

The only methods I know to do stuff like that involves polymodeling in max with a meshsmooth thrown on top.

You could always use your microstation mesh as a guide for those walls at first and remodel/remove just the soft ones.

Comment

I have done a lot of work like this and I have found that lofts/sweeps in max are the best way to achieve this. Then afterward you have to fillet the fenestration's to provide clean openings. Haven't seen work like this coming out of a cad package I have been told Revit has a way you can do it but I have not seen anyone produce a work flow that works.

I have a few samples at www.sfrendering.com

Comment

Model your fillets/chamfers in MS. To get the bumpy edges just put a subdivide modifier on the pieces you want (pick an appropriate spacing) and add a noise modifier. It's a little messy but should work just fine. You can add a meshsmooth/turbosmooth after the subdivide if you need the surface even smoother but check the smoothing groups.

Plain version:

Noisy version (Yeah I know it's subtle ) :
        Attached Files
        www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Sorry, can't really help with a quick technique (we model in ADT and would use some kind of 3D fillet for this type of thing), but I *love* that kind of architecture. It reminds me of my holidays in Lanzarote. I've designed an extension to my house which, thanks to this arsing credit crunch has been put on hold! Dammit!
          Kind Regards,
          Richard Birket
          ----------------------------------->
          http://www.blinkimage.com

----------------------------------->

Comment

similar: perhaps throw a make paralel edges on it, and subdivide and subtle noise

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/make-parallel-edges

or

http://www.vg2max.spb.ru/EdgeChEx.htm

cheers

Comment

Still do a fillet in Microstation but use a Normal map to get the rough look. It's way easier on you polygon budget as well. Look for the Normal map loader Vlado wrote though, Vray and the Max built in one suck as a combo speed wise....
              Two heads are better than one ...
              ....but some head is better than none.....

Comment

Thanks All, i have some great input to work with now!

I will search for the normal map loader, but if somebody does have the link ready please post.

Is there instructions on how to use the loader or can you give me some pointer mike?

Comment

Working...
                X