Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uni or dual processor

Hi all

I thougt I might skip the dualie this time and go for a uni AMD shuttle- system. do someone have any opinions on one vs two proc? I´m just so tired of the big case. and the small ones look so cute. The one thing I realy wondering; is the heatpipe reliable?

pleace help me out whith the pros and cons

/Daniel
    Daniel Westlund

For modeling 1 proc is probably enough if you have a decent video card, for rendering though a dualie pulls way ahead, As far as the heat pipe from what I have read the heat pipes are pretty efficient. In the end I would go for raw power over cuteness but that is just me
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Comment

Well, when you're tired of waiting those renderings to be completed late night, the small shuttle is easier to throw away trough the window...
      I would definetly go for a dual, mainly if I'm using more than one program at a time.
      You can also let it rendering at one processor and use the other to watch a dvd
      It's better than just waiting...
      My two Cents,
      Joao.

Comment

if you have the budget go for the Dual AMD

really kicks butt.

I have a DUAL AMD 2000+
        never regreted the purchace

cheers,
        markie

Comment

Dual procs make sense for anything that is multithreated. Not all multi-threaded apps are the same. For example, 3d studio is only multi-threated with rendering. A lot of rendering prep stuff, such as shadow calcs are not multi threated...

BUT, Vray is EXTREEMLY multithreated. So is Mental Ray...

Bascially, when rendering you get about a 60% speed advantage in max, and about a 95% advantage in Vray... this is based on my experience...

Think about what your computer will be doing... if you are rendering in Vray, I would get dual... P4's with hyperthreading will give you an even bigger advantage in Vray.

Comment

Originally posted by cpnichols
            Dual procs make sense for anything that is multithreated. Not all multi-threaded apps are the same. For example, 3d studio is only multi-threated with rendering. A lot of rendering prep stuff, such as shadow calcs are not multi threated...

BUT, Vray is EXTREEMLY multithreated. So is Mental Ray...

Bascially, when rendering you get about a 60% speed advantage in max, and about a 95% advantage in Vray... this is based on my experience...

Think about what your computer will be doing... if you are rendering in Vray, I would get dual... P4's with hyperthreading will give you an even bigger advantage in Vray.
            Not in all points true. OpenGL supports Multi Processor support. Even Max supports two prozessors in some tasks (well not much). So the viewport will become a little faster. Anyhow because Max use a lot of memory it is more importend to go far a machine which use a fast Ram.

Hyper Threasing (currently only with XEONs) brings about 7% more speed with Vray. But it really improves working with multible application.

Workstation: Go for P4 or Xeon. Get a good OpenGL card (no DirectX card) and look for fast memory.

Renderstation: Go for AMD (cheap)

regards,

robert
            I'm registed believe me! Just miss that logo.

Comment

Hyper Threasing (currently only with XEONs) brings about 7% more speed with Vray. But it really improves working with multible application.
              HyperThreading is NOT ONLY on XEONs.
              I have a P4 3.06Ghz (running at 3.4Ghz) HyperThread and this is NOT a XEON.

Some other P4 are also HT processors, but Intel doesnt sell those processors as HT procs.

The only way to know if a P4 supports HyperThreading is to know what core rev it is : if it is a revision C1 then it is a P4 HT.

Comment

Well in the future all P4 will be HT. But currently there are only some. I think the centrion technology is far more interesting. I have 1.3 Ghz Centrion notebook, that is fast like a 1.8 Ghz AMD.

robert
                I'm registed believe me! Just miss that logo.

Comment

ok thank you.

I will consider your thoughts.

/Daniel
                  Daniel Westlund

Comment

If you realy want the smaller form factor get the P4 shuttle with HT that would end up preforming better than the AMD. I just finished building one for a relative and it rocks with a P4.

just another thought to drive you mad

-dave
                    Cheers,
                    -dave
                    ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

Centrion? Whats that 3dform? Can you provide a link with more info on that? You made me curious
                      Stefan Kubicek
                      www.keyvis.at

Comment

Originally posted by stefan
                        Centrion? Whats that 3dform? Can you provide a link with more info on that? You made me curious

I think 3dform was talking about the new mobile processor from Intel : CENTRINO

Comment

how do I know if it is a revision C1
                          Daniel Westlund

Comment

download CPU-Z : http://www.cpuid.com/

launch it, then you will have a lot of infos on your system and of course what revision is your CPU.

Comment

N6, do you know how to enable HT on <3.06? as far as I know it has only happened by chance a few times.
                              Eric Boer
                              Dev

Comment

Working...
                              X