Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locked out

Hi,

I installed some, um... questionable software, and suddenly I can't open Task Manager or Regedit, because apparently my administrator hasn't given me permission. But I AM the Administrator! And there aren't even any other user names for this computer!

Any idea how I restore order? AVG says I don't have any viruses.

Thanks!

- Geoff
    - Geoff

lol. Did you at least try rebooting. And if so, remove the software in safe mode if you can.
    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

could also try performing a system restore to a date before installing the software.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

I seem to have gotten around the problem by creating a new account with administrative privileges. And it also stopped the annoying thing that caused me to discover the lockout as well.
        - Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by YoyoBoy View Post
          I seem to have gotten around the problem by creating a new account with administrative privileges. And it also stopped the annoying thing that caused me to discover the lockout as well.
          I have seen this before, got round it by using a 3rd party registry editor to enable the windows registry editor again

Comment

what you describe is what the virus "xp virus detector" (or whatever it's called) does. You've installed a virus on your machine and from what everyone i know that has gotten it said, the best way to permanently and absolutely get rid of it is to wipe your hard drive and start over. It's the only thing that worked one hundred percent for me.
            mh

Comment

i remember that virus. sneeky bastard

---------------------------------------------------
              MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
              stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Working...
              X