Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any freelance tips for handling multiple projects simultanously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any freelance tips for handling multiple projects simultanously?

Hi all

Following on Client Demands thread and Client FAQ thread, I thought some of us would like to know how you would deal with the situations mentioned below?

So you're a freelancer or small studio (1-3 people) and you usually do fine with the odd project now and then. You know the saying, "when it rains it pours". Now you have 3 arhviz projects coming in at the same time, each will take about a week, bit they all need to be finished within the next 5 days. On top of that you have 2 large non arhviz animation projects each that will take about 2-3 months.

Do you outsource? (risky as you don't YET have any reliable people that could help out, and also what's stopping them from going to your client directly during this project, or for the next one and thus "stealing" your client? Also how you deal with the outcource company charging more than you or even the same as you? Where's your profit?

Do you say sorry I can only help you in a week? (next guy in 2 weeks etc)
    Also riksy since your client might not come back to you since you always busy and they need stuff NOW?

Do you permanently employe some guys? (risky as what if the rain mentioned suddenly stops and you're back to the odd project now and then. Sucks to have to deal with getting rid of people)

Any other options?
    (besides changing careers)
    Last edited by Morne; 13-09-2009, 03:47 AM.
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

work faster? sleep less?

This is a problem is any small business might face, and its certainly a lot better than the no work coming in problem.

I dont know that there is any answer to the problem though, its going to be up to you to decide how to handle it.
    WerT
    www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by DVP3D View Post
      Do you say sorry I can only help you in a week? (next guy in 2 weeks etc)
      Also riksy since your client might not come back to you since you always busy and they need stuff NOW?
      that's my answer, without any hesitation ...well, almost

keep in mind that almost always every pressing deadline it's tied only with a bad client's scheduling so, it's not a problem of yours
      Alessandro

Comment

I am in such situation right now
        But I am careful to accept multiple projects, as I have been burned by it before. I have few artists who are my friends who I can count on in time of need. That is why I accept projects ontop of projects, because I can outsource them to my buddies and make some $.

But as it been pointed out, you need to find a balance between honesty and relations.
        On one hand if you refuse a project you may lose $ and lose the connection with possible future work.
        On the other, if you are upfront and honest they will appreciate that, and perhaps comeback to you later?..
        Dmitry Vinnik
        Silhouette Images Inc.
        ShowReel:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
        https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

I have to say it is never worth passing up work if you are already swamped, deadlines seem to have a way of moving, which generally gives you enough wiggle room to slot things in.

We had 3 projects come in within a week of each other (2 stills & 1 anim) and all the deadlines changed, which then enabled us to even take on some more projects in the revision downtime waiting for the client.

Comment

Originally posted by squeakybadger View Post
            I have to say it is never worth passing up work if you are already swamped, deadlines seem to have a way of moving, which generally gives you enough wiggle room to slot things in.

We had 3 projects come in within a week of each other (2 stills & 1 anim) and all the deadlines changed, which then enabled us to even take on some more projects in the revision downtime waiting for the client.
            Agree completely. Never refuse work.

The questions you ask are basic business questions: there is no correct way of doing it, and each time the answer is different. Nobody can really answer this for you - you just have to 'suck it and see'.

If you do refuse work, send it my way
            Kind Regards,
            Richard Birket
            ----------------------------------->
            http://www.blinkimage.com

----------------------------------->

Comment

Originally posted by tricky View Post
              Never refuse work.
              may I ask you what's wrong with that?
              Alessandro

Comment

I realize the scale of which the projects you're working on may not parallel this situation, but I thought partnering up with a studio like Animal Studio might be an interesting option to consider, among the others.

http://www.animal-studio.com/?p=71

I hadn't heard of them before, but upon doing research on AMD's Libeskind animation, It seems as though AMD found Animal Studio was a good solution if you've got a huge job (maybe one of your 2-3 month animations) and need to scale fast.

Just a thought....

Comment

I passed one job to a guy I know and trust - otherwise I will lose the client - it took me more time in coordinating than I made off the job, but the client will come back for more

I also outsourced some work but I made sure I tried the guy on preliminary bits first
                  - I made just enough to cover my admin time - but again the client is happy and will come back

so I now charge more to cover my costs - and if I really dont want the job I quote even higher prices to make it worth my while

but I'd love to take someone on - as you say its the worry of keeping them busy month after month - plus the admin hassle of employing someone and remembering how to be a good boss !

Comment

I never ever say no to work, the start of the year was a scary one for me and rendertime, i made two people redundant against my better judgement and generally panicked as everyone did... no work and wages and bills to pay.. Every scrap of work was important and every client was even more important. 9 months on and we are the busiest we have been purely because i have looked after the clients and kept every deadline presented to us, if you turn a client away they will find another freelance guy or 3D company to do the job = 8 times out 10 you have lost a client to a competitor = not good ! ..

So work like a frigin dog, employ some help or live on Pro Plus ... or give it all up and go work for someone else and do a 9 - 5 ... sometimes i wish i could... but then i wouldn't be buying this beauty next week .....
                    Attached Files
                    Natty
                    http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

LOL...
                      Yes ...this is my next target too:

Dmitry Vinnik
                      Silhouette Images Inc.
                      ShowReel:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                      https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

lol

im in the same shoes here lol....i got one great solution! and even better i was such a great customer i didnt have to buy a car they gave me one....lol

Ruben Gil
                        www.spvisionz.com
                        www.linkedin.com/in/s2vgroup

Comment

Natty, now that you are very busy again, would you re-employ those you made redundant? We let people go here as well, but to be honest, they were let go because they were the weakest, and they won't be coming back because of that.

Agree with everyone that has said don't say no to a project, it is a pain in the rear end, but it seems to be worth it in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by judderman View Post
                            Natty, now that you are very busy again, would you re-employ those you made redundant? We let people go here as well, but to be honest, they were let go because they were the weakest, and they won't be coming back because of that.

Agree with everyone that has said don't say no to a project, it is a pain in the rear end, but it seems to be worth it in the end.
                            No i wouldnt, although it pained me to make 2 guys redundant there were other reasons why they bit the dust......
                            Its just a natural progression of a company to find good people ...
                            Natty
                            http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

I think we were pretty much the same - there were other reasons why some of our people were let go besides the need to get rid of staff due to the downturn and to keep the company going. I didn't have to make those decisions fortunately, but I'd imagine it was tough nonetheless.

Comment

Working...
                              X