Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is absolute minmum equipment required to make own HDRI skies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by plastic_ View Post
    D7000:
    AE Bracketing 2 to 3 frames in 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 or 1EV increments

as I understand it you can auto-bracket 3 shots with +-1EV...that's not too exiting.

I tried with my Canon 5d II, it can do +-2EV with 3 shots....that's not really a great range either, but better.
    You can remote control this cameras with a laptop though, for a greater exposure range and more flexibility.
    However, shooting hdri panoramas is not as fun as you might imagine.
    I tried it once, and quickly gave up.
    I have a 5d mkII. When you say the laptop software provides more exposure range do you mean the bracketing can be altered to a wider amount of stops ?

I have a 180degreee fisheye lens and use that pointing straight up to create sky HDRI panos. I shoot in raw and seem to get a really nice dynamic range with sharp shadows (assuming the sun is high and there is no cloud).
    Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

O yes I forgot to mention that I'll mainly be doing sky HDRI's
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

Fisheye lens would be the easiest method I would have thought (and cheapest) for just skies. I use a SIGMA 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG Fisheye lens with my canon 5d mk2.
        Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

D7000:
          AE Bracketing 2 to 3 frames in 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 or 1EV increments

as I understand it you can auto-bracket 3 shots with +-1EV...that's not too exiting.

I tried with my Canon 5d II, it can do +-2EV with 3 shots....that's not really a great range either, but better.
          You can remote control this cameras with a laptop though, for a greater exposure range and more flexibility.
          apparently the D7000 will be able to shoot 3 x +-2EV steps: http://hdriblog.com/nikon-d7000/ (see amendment)

my experience in shooting hdri skies was that faster = better, as I often had problems with moving clouds with my 5D and sigma 8mm combo. Luckily I was able to borrow a 1dsmk3, which is a beast!
          www.peterguthrie.net
          www.peterguthrie.net/blog/
          www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

this is correct, but using the C1/C2/C3 dial its posible to shoot 9 photos in sequence (1 or 2 stops appart). Its not ideal, but its pretty easy.
            Last edited by mdi; 21-09-2010, 12:42 AM.
            mdi-digital.com

Comment

There are things like the promote remote that can extend the capabilities of a lower cost camera, https://www.promotesystems.com/produ...e-Control.html.
              Richard De Souza

www.themanoeuvre.com

Comment

Working...
              X