real -realtime vray.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• real -realtime vray.

a little theoretical project.. i was musing over this earlier when i should have been doing something else. . what would be needed to get the current state-of- the art vray renders done in realtime, using currently available hardware?

since we are firmly in cloud cuckoo land anyway, here are some random calculations:

i want to be able to render a 1080p image that takes 5 hrs a frame on my machine, at 25 fps.
    (5 hrs seemed a reasonable time to include the very cleanest brute force gi, lots of displacement and proxies etc)

my machine is a 4.2 ghz i7.

so to get 1 hr a frame id need 5 times the power.
    to get 1 minute a frame id need 60 x 5 = 300 times the power.
    to get 25 fps id need 60 x 5 x 25 = 7500 times the power.

thats one powerful PC! assuming i specced up a hugely expensive quad 8 core nehalem EX, i could get approximately 8x the performance of my current pc (assuming i could overclock it to 4.2 as well

so assuming that machine, id need 937 of them.. not cheap but hey im in lala land so i also have the money.

to get responsive realtime performance it would be no good having each machine working on one frame, as the input lag would be laughable. so id have to use distributed rendering.

current limit of 10 pcs would have to go, and a 1000 pc limit introduced. and very small bucket sizes. what kind of interconnect would we need? assuming a fast enough interconnect, would this be feasable? what other issues would there be with such a project? apart from the sheer ludicrousness of it of course..

I think you messed up the last calc. Your last calc will give you 25 frames per minute so to get it to fps you'd need to again multiply by 60, or 60 x 60 x 5 x 25 = 450000 times the power! That's supercomputer power (http://www.top500.org/lists/2010/11) and even at that I doubt it would scale up like that. Fun exercise though.
    www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

ah.. yes maths was never my strongest point. damn even in fantasy land 450,000 i7's seems somehow futile to think about.

Comment

ok some more dodgy maths. i used sandra to measure the approximate number of Gflops my computer pumps out. 85.26.. so 450,000 times that would be: 38367000 gflops, or... 38.37 petaflops.

since if ive understood the top500 specs correctly, the current fastest machine in the world can manage 4.7 petaflops peak (obviously measured with very different benchmarking methods)

so.. basically.. not gonna happen for a little while.

Comment

"In February 2009, IBM also announced work on "Sequoia," which appears to be a 20 petaflops supercomputer. This will be equivalent to 2 million laptops (whereas Roadrunner is comparable to a mere 100,000 laptops). It is slated for deployment in late 2011.[4] The Sequoia will be powered by 1.6 million cores (specific 45-nanometer chips in development) and 1.6 petabytes of memory. It will be housed in 96 refrigerators spanning roughly 3,000 square feet (280 m2)"

so.. 2 of those should do it.

Comment

Originally posted by super gnu View Post
            "In February 2009, IBM also announced work on "Sequoia," which appears to be a 20 petaflops supercomputer. This will be equivalent to 2 million laptops (whereas Roadrunner is comparable to a mere 100,000 laptops). It is slated for deployment in late 2011.[4] The Sequoia will be powered by 1.6 million cores (specific 45-nanometer chips in development) and 1.6 petabytes of memory. It will be housed in 96 refrigerators spanning roughly 3,000 square feet (280 m2)"

I think one would be OK - I'm fine with only 12.5 fps.
            www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

well i know some gamers who wont touch less than 60 fps.. so maybe im just not being ambitious enough.

does touch on a real subject though.. DR scaling. i understand the 10 pc limit was imposed as beyond that network communication starts to bog down rendering. is this the only limitation (obviously hard drive speed would have to factor at some point too) ?

Comment

Originally posted by super gnu View Post

In 30 years we will have one on our wrists.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffG2 View Post
                  In 30 years we will have one on our wrists.
                  yes, and we didn't find to time sleep anymore if we haven't anymore night render times
                  GHiOM = Guillaume Gaillard
                  freelance 3D artist
                  www.ghiom.com

Comment

ahh.. just use more subdivs.

Comment

Working...
                    X