gradient map problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gradient map problem

I usually use a trick with normal max lighting to use a gradient map with the gradient type set to lighting as a mask between lit and shaded area. however when using vray sun for lighting the lighting is so bright that this method doesnt work. anyone know any other tricks i could use on this?

---------------------------------------------------
    MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
    stupid questions the forum can answer.

Could you use Falloff textures on the objects set to "Shadow / Light"?

I'm not quick sure what you're looking for though
    Colin Senner

Comment

falloff is the same as gradient ramp except you get more control over gradient ramp. max uses those assuming that dark = 0 brightness and bright = 255. but with vray sun in the picture dark = reeeeally bright by max standards, and bright = eeeeven brighter

MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with

Comment

ok. how about max script. is there a way to have a maxscript act like a blend material that can check a pixel on an object. see how bright the lighting on it is and if the lighting falls between 1 value and another value blend two other materials together. anything below a value renders 1 material fully and anything above the other value renders the other material fully.
        maybe you can supply a base material that it will use when checking the lighting

Comment

Not that I'm aware of. Not sure how much you can really do with scripted materials. There has to be a way to do this though. I wish there were "If/then" checks within the slate material editor.
          Colin Senner

Comment

im sure there has to be a way for max to analyse the brightness of a pixel and apply a material based on that. when you right click in vfb it can give you color info on the image so why not be able to use that info while rendering

Comment

Absolutely, but that would be a plugin material. You'd have to use the SDK kit for that. Maybe someone else could comment on the plausibility of creating that plugin material as I have no experience with the SDK.
              Colin Senner

Comment

bummer. why did gradient ramp have to be so limited

Comment

BerconGradient has a lighting option. I havent tested it with VRay sun though.

http://www.ylilammi.com/BerconMaps.shtml

Comment

hm, I knew the light/shadow option is not working properly.
                    does it work with other vraylights?

best regards
                    themaxxer
                    Pixelschmiede GmbH
                    www.pixelschmiede.ch

Comment

it would work with any light thats using normal 3dsmax light levels. but the second you start using real lighting levels then that light is way too bright for the normal gradient. havent tried bercon gradient as yet

Comment

Originally posted by Da_elf View Post
                        falloff is the same as gradient ramp except you get more control over gradient ramp. max uses those assuming that dark = 0 brightness and bright = 255. but with vray sun in the picture dark = reeeeally bright by max standards, and bright = eeeeven brighter
                        Not necessarily. The VRaySun intensity setting allows one to control this scale. For me with this multiplier set at 0.01 - 0.015, it essentially puts the VRaySun in line with max's default scale:

Click image for larger version

Name:	gradient ramp with vray sun.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	844646 Click image for larger version

Name:	settings.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	844647

Just remember to turn off exposure in your physical cameras.

This also allows you to use the ink n paint material if you so wish.
                        Last edited by beestee; 08-11-2011, 03:10 PM.
                        Ben Steinert
                        pb2ae.com

Comment

wow, great! didn't thought about that.

so it would be great if max would understand more than 256 levels... would it be possible theoretically?

best regards
                          themaxxer
                          Pixelschmiede GmbH
                          www.pixelschmiede.ch

Comment

@beestee i know what the vray sun multiplier does. however if you do that your not getting a realistic sun and might as well use a max direct light. i can get the gradient ramp to work perfectly when using a direct light now i need to figure out how to use a vray sun at normal multiplier. got my fingers crossed for bercon maps

Comment

Originally posted by themaxxer View Post
                              wow, great! didn't thought about that.

so it would be great if max would understand more than 256 levels... would it be possible theoretically?

best regards
                              themaxxer
                              It does for most/many things. It is a bunch of maps and other features that do not. You can of course have maps that generate and/or use arbitrary float data.

Regards,
                              Thorsten

Comment

Working...
                              X