Aircraft animation and background environment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aircraft animation and background environment

Does anyone know any suitable methods to do this type of animation ? I was thinking of using a large photo that I animated very slowly away from the plane...maybe moving upward to and a camera zoomed into the aircraft to create a sense of movement. Or do people use programs like terragen or similar to use as backgrounds ?
    Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Camera mapping would be an idea. Basically you map and image on a rough geometry that imitates the landscape seen on the picture.
    Than you have a limited range to animate a camera with the correct motion of the background.
    Years ago there was a demo scene that shipped with max. Something with an apache helicopter
    flying in front of a mountain scenario. But I don´t know if this is still somewhere buried within the max installation files.
    I found this tutorial for c4d.. and well it ´s in german but the images
    will give you an idea what it´s all about.
    http://c4dnetwork.com/board/threads/7514-Matte-Painting
    And yep, Terrage is an awesome solution, too. But expect a pretty long setup and even longer render time.
    http://planetside.co.uk/galleries/fe...-tg2-lufthansa

Comment

Well I geuss it would depend on the kind of shot and altitude of the plane. If it's mostly mid air, then use background. If you go a bit lower you will need to get some kind of geometry going.

Those 2 F16 falcons in Dmitry's reel for example, I think he said they used vue for the environment, but the actual ground was just a backplate, but those were pretty high up. If you're looking howver at RealtimeUK's Stormbirds, that's pretty much all 3D.
      Also Disney's "Planes" those looked mostly 3D except for some shots where it was matte paintings
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. Interesting stuff. It seems there are a few ways to do this. I'll see what I can come up with. I was also thinking of using terragen 3 and creating a spherical render of the environment to light and add reflections to the aircraft as the camera moved through the scene.
        Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

I created an animation for a private contract involving a MQ-9 reaper (Drone) in 3D Max. I used a very high res HDRI (15000x15000 res) for the sky and lighting. Then used an image plane when it was at high altitudes mapped with Google Earth, and "World Machine" for the terrain built at low altitudes. It worked really well.

Can I ask what you're creating? I've started a new personal project involving a few F-16s. Im probably going to use the same approach as I did for the Drone. If you're working on something personal and would like some assistance I'd love to hear it.

Comment

This sounds interesting. This is a personal project. I did some animations for a client that involved aircraft but they were not as good as I know they could be. I was hoping to improve the technique for future assignments. Would be good to do a joint venture into this. Work is starting to build up again now so I'll only be able to do this in my free time if that's okay with you. Feel free to add me to your skype list...would be good to chat: stevesideas
            Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Working...
            X