Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-Routing internet connection through Google connections

Hey guys, I've got a super geeky question :

I'm working from Europe to Australia by syncing with GDrive and RDP/PCoIP.

We have business connection on both sides (10/10 Mbps) and (160/10 Mbps) with really low latency, 2-8ms on speedtest.net.

When I try to transfer a file straight from AU to UE and vise versa (ftp, web, Team Viewer, etc) I hardly hit more than 100Ko/s (1Mbps).

When I sync through GDrive, my connections are maxing out on both sides, in upload and download. This really demonstrate that the data that is transferred through google's connection is definitely using another route than all my other connections.

Would it be possible to setup a VPN, (or whatever other tech) that would let me use google connection to go from EU to AU for RDP or PCoIP?

I'm not against having a server (instance) or two running in some data centers to manage that connection.
    I'm absolutely keen to pay for this service as well.

This would change my life, literally.

Thanks a lot,
    Stan
    3LP Team

I find the same thing, the quickest way to move data round the world is to use google drive! Although I find uploading using the web interface a lot faster (maxes out around 200Mbps) and the app a fair bit slower (60Mbps).

I think your idea of setting up two vpn instances could work quite well. I would go for a cloud provider with datacentres in Europe and Australia and free data transfer between them. Softlayer aren't the cheapest cloud provider but they do make it easy to span between networks in different datacentres, effectively creating a private network that you could then route route your rdp traffic through, along with using rsync or google drive to sync files. On the softlayer network the speeds between Amsterdam and the us are blazingly fast (500Mbps+)

http://www.softlayer.com/data-centers

Comment

Oh nice!

Well I though about google, as that was the fastest connection I could get but I'm open to get other solution like softlayer.
      Thanks for the info!

So you think I could get two instances running, one in Paris or London, and one in Sydney.
      Those would re-route my RDP connection or PCoIP to use their connection gate in between the continents?
      This would be awesome.

I have no idea how to configure this, but I guess a pitt stop through the support guys could give me a hint.

Would softlayer be any better than if if I go for two instances running on google cloud?
      Google has got a data center 5 miles away down the street and have another one pretty close to my work office in Sydney, if I can go through them, I'm just guessing it might be really awesome speed/latency.
      I just don't know how to set up all this little gameboy.

Stan
      3LP Team

Comment

Ok so I've been in touch with the guys at softlayer.
        They said it would be possible to setup something like this but they would only provide the servers on both locations and I would benefit from their private network in between the data centers, I'm just guessing, the same way as if I use google cloud.

I have to figure out how to configure the VPN on both server now.

I'll try to find info with openVPN but if someone has any clue on where I should start looking, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
        Stan
        3LP Team

Comment

I think a steel head appliance might be what you are looking for. That is, if you have the budget.
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com
          e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
          phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
          • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
          • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Ah ha, well, not sure what you mean, do you have any links, info?
            Thanks
            3LP Team

Comment

I have used this one

http://www.riverbed.com/products/wan-optimization/
              Bobby Parker
              www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Thanks,
                I'll have a look.

What is it exactly?
                I just read that it's basically the best of the best but it doesn't really explain what they do.
                Do they offer some sort of VPN between data centers?
                3LP Team

Comment

It syncs data between points. Basically, it is how you have satellite offices that share data, in real time.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYikLLfSL3M
                  Bobby Parker
                  www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                  • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

All right.

I had a quick look but what riverbed is offering is basically some kind of push/pull cloud storage, like a sync service, isn't it?
                    I already have all I need for that matter with google drive.

What I'm looking for is to get a direct connection in live between Europe and Australia using google connection as the main connection between the continents.
                    something like this :
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	vpn.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	856144

I've been in touch with the guys from openVPN and they said it's feasible.
                    I see what can be done about it but I have to configure the whole thing manually, I just wished there was a more simple way to get this working.

Thanks for your feedback anyways!

Stan
                    3LP Team

Comment

Working...
                    X