Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From nuke to Natron or fusion

Hey,
    Have used nuke on and off for years and it's great but it's so damn expensive.

Anyone here used natron in production? Is it up to the task?

Am thinking about using digital fusion is it a big jump to go from nuke to fusion?

To add to this
    Anyone used resolve or kdenlive

Comment

we use fusion and resolve and do most edits in resolve as well.
      we link the comps to the edit file and it works quite nicely

i started in nuke then went to fusion, they are quite similiar when it comes down to it and the price makes it quite attractive (even though you will likely need to spend a bit on OFX plugins) the downside is there are no freelancers that use fusion and the user base it quite small and support average.

what kind of work are you doing?

Comment

Hey Squintnic,
        Good to know that there is some live link between fusion and resolve. Will have a look into this.
        Besides having to learn another piece of software, it never ends!
        I am also concerned about the user base. I used to be more on the tools http://patrickgavin.com.au/
        but these days I am on the production/pipeline side of the fence and need to be able to find freelancers that can hit the ground running.

Comment

I have been a fusion user for many many years now.
          It is very simple to use (i found it much easier than nuke)
          If you need any help just get in touch
          Chris Jackson
          Shiftmedia
          www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Originally posted by squintnic View Post
            we use fusion and resolve and do most edits in resolve as well.
            we link the comps to the edit file and it works quite nicely
            half of dbox works like this too, it works well. the other studios are slowly joining us with this workflow too.

I think anyone familiar with nuke wouldn't need much time at all to get into fusion, it's a couple days with both open at once figuring out translations. doesnt help you if you need them to hit the ground running on day 1, but if you already know people who use nuke & have some work coming up for them you might be able to suggest they get to grips with it.

Comment

Thanks Jacksc02 and Neilg will have to get into fusion and davinci over the over the easter break.
              Really like the concept of a node based compositor with a built in editor.
              Worked with nuke studio (briefly) about a year ago and while i didn't get enough time to really delve into it could see a really nice workflow there.

Comment

Ok well, I gave natron a try. It is nuke. Took 2 seconds to get up and running and about another 2 seconds for it to crash. Not kidding.
                Even simple things seemed to make it crash
                Got my google fu on and it seems like the developers are at a fork in the road where they said they will struggle to continue Natron beyond 2017 unless they get more industry support.
                Would like to use it at our studio but am wondering if anyone here has given it a go?

Also had a look at Da Vinci, wow. Can't believe it is free. Very polished. Blackmagic are doing all the right things. Fusion link. Just bought Ultimatte.
                Was never a big fan of premiere anyway so thats an easy choice.

Will try and get into fusion a bit over the next few days.
                Anyone got any tips on working with linear and non linear images? exr. render over jpg background for example.
                Had a look on the google and got mixed responses depending on which version of fusion.
                As far as I can figure I need to create my own sRGB lut and load it to a viewer and then that may or may not effect my colour wheels and thumbnails.
                Seems a bit messy compared to Nuke.

Comment

Originally posted by pg1 View Post
                  Will try and get into fusion a bit over the next few days.
                  Anyone got any tips on working with linear and non linear images? exr. render over jpg background for example.
                  Had a look on the google and got mixed responses depending on which version of fusion.
                  As far as I can figure I need to create my own sRGB lut and load it to a viewer and then that may or may not effect my colour wheels and thumbnails.
                  Seems a bit messy compared to Nuke.
                  Join the BlackMagic Fusion forums. People quick to respond.
                  Also check out Daniel's courses over on fxphd:
                  https://www.fxphd.com/details/?idCourse=475
                  and
                  https://www.fxphd.com/details/?idCourse=537

If you're still not convinced, check this out:
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRCtzx04QKw
                  and this
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWSV7Crrqzc
                  Kind Regards,
                  Morne

Comment

Thanks Morne, will check out Daniels course. Looks like he covers exactly what I need.

Comment

Thanks Morne, will check out Daniels course. Looks like he covers exactly what I need.
                      In course 1, that spaceship scene uses EXR files I think rendered from Maya. Not sure if they were converted in another app or what, but they appear to not be linear to me, ie gamma burnt in somehow. Nevertheless it's easy to follow and you will get the info you need. I'm looking forward to do Daniels new Fusion course which came out in Nov 2016. Just been busy with other stuff lately...

Daniel's stuff is good. I also did his Zombie Panic Nuke course a few years back. That one has plenty general knowledge tips in also.
                      Kind Regards,
                      Morne

Comment

Was never a big fan of premiere anyway
                        Why if I may ask? Just curious.
                        I do small production, so I could never see the point on using any other workflow. But the doubt is always there.
                        Guido.

Comment

premiere is good, but it's got absolute shit for color controls which makes doing tiny adjustments to get everything to sit together flawlessly very time consuming. resolve's hugely in depth color controls could handle a well rendered raw sequence by itself, but even then you can drop right into the fusion comp and do all your tweaks from within the edit. it's an incredible level of control with more tools than you ever thought possible.
                          it all depends on what you need - if premiere works for you then it's fine, depends how deep down the post production rabbit hole you want to go.
                          Last edited by Neilg; 17-04-2017, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X