Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems to light Shag:Fur strands "underneath"...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems to light Shag:Fur strands "underneath"...

Hello forum members!

I hope somebody can help... I´m currently working at a 3D short with fox babies and I´m using Shag:Fur for... well, the fur. From the sideview everything looks pretty good but when the camera moves around the object I´m facing two strange problems I can´t deal with.

You can download the turntable here (DivX 5):

http://www.physical-touch.de/ptftp/Movies/Turntable.avi

First, in some angles you can see an ugly pattern in the fur (best seen on the back legs). But much worse, I can´t light the fur properly. I always got these large black areas where the fur strands point directly to the camera. The only way I found to solve this is either raising the ambient light (which is never a good solution) or make the hair strands curly. But I don´t want curly fur!

By the way, no light setup works properly. I lighted that turntable with a sky dome with NO shadows. No light in the scene actually casts shadows (when shadows are turned on the same problem occurs) even in the render settings are all shadows disabled. Additionally, I can´t convert the fur to geometry because shag crashes when I do that.

Is there some kind of trick or work around? Please help!

Thanks in advance,
    Florian (Filmakademie, Germany)
Working...
X