Considering setting up gpu renderfarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering setting up gpu renderfarm

Any thoughts? I might be able to get some financing for a project, and was considering (now the rtx line support nvlink/memory sharing, so offer some level of futureproofing) putting together a proposal for a vray gpu renderfarm, ideally with a solar power system to offset electricity costs. (its very sunny here)

I have a few questions:

Most renderfarms offer some kind of plugin/remote interface to submit jobs. Are these usually developed in-house or by third parties?

Second, ive noticed a recent trend to simply rent out entire servers with a blank OS. This of course avoids having to keep software up to date /support exotic combinations or deal with licensing, but places more responsibility on the client. Which systems to people generally prefer using?

My idea with the solar power would be to offer a discount for daytime rendering, to encourage people to use the system more when the sun is shining.

I am also a bit sceptical that its a decent investment, since im going into competition with the increasingly common cloud based services.. However it seems to me that gpu rendering with decent amounts of gpu ram is less well served, and not very cost effective on these amazon/google based services.. Anyone have experience with this?

I need to run the numbers and see how much i would have to charge to cover my costs in a reasonable timeframe. One benefit is i wouldnt need to pay for heating in winter!

Cheers!
Working...
X