Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Ray for 3ds Max and USD

Hello,

As some of you know, Autodesk is working on USD support for 3ds Max. They have kindly provided a SDK for us to hook up everything V-Ray related. So far things like V-Ray materials, textures, displacement and lights should be properly exported to USD.

Here you can find builds capable of exporting V-Ray data to USD - https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...y3?usp=sharing

Few notes for the shared builds:
    • they will work only with USD3dsMax version 0.3.2.1980 (public beta available from Autodesk)
    • these builds are meant only for testing, they might be unstable
    • as of today, we've added only export functionality; rendering USD data still happens only through the VRayScene node; 3ds Max USD Stage node will not render V-Ray specific data
    • the exported USD files should be properly consumed by V-Ray for Maya and Houdini
    • a list with the things that are not exported to USD:
      • V-Ray object properties
      • VRayClipper
      • VRayDecal
      • VRayFur
      • VRayEnmeshMod
      • Chaos Scatter
      • VRayVolumeGrid
    • when exporting make sure you've checked these:

Click image for larger version  Name:	3dsmax_WCfMqp3GwI.png Views:	0 Size:	46.3 KB ID:	1165386
    Last edited by matanov; 15-11-2022, 07:59 AM.
    If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
    Chaos

Is USD3dsMax version 0.3.2.1980 publicly distributed? i can't find it.
    3dsMax USD from Autodesk Desktop app or Autodesk account looks like 0.3.0.

OakCorp Japan - Yuji Yamauchi
    oakcorp.net
    v-ray.jp

Comment

Originally posted by flat View Post
      Is USD3dsMax version 0.3.2.1980 publicly distributed? i can't find it.
      3dsMax USD from Autodesk Desktop app or Autodesk account looks like 0.3.0.

I got mine from the AD beta website. I'll share here as soon as there is more info.

Peter Matanov
      Chaos

Comment

There are new V-Ray builds in the shared folder that support the older USD3dsMax versions.

Peter Matanov
        Chaos

Comment

Thanks for the old USD3dsMax support. I was able to test it.

User-Defined Properties tag and UVTile tag of VRayBitmapTex are not supported?
          Maya's USD Loader and V-Ray Scene Loder(USD) does not handle these correctly.

However, the V-Ray 3dsMax vrscene object's USD Loader seems to correctly handle the VRayBitmap User-Defined Properties Tag from the USD.

Last edited by flat; 25-11-2022, 12:06 AM.

OakCorp Japan - Yuji Yamauchi
          oakcorp.net
          v-ray.jp

Comment

matanov Would it be possible to share that Autodesk USD plugin or a link? I cannot access it from my Autodesk Beta Forum Account. Or are your latest installers from the dropbox link compatible with USD 0.3.0xx release from Autodesk?
            Last edited by rasmus; 10-01-2023, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rasmus View Post
              matanov Would it be possible to share that Autodesk USD plugin or a link? I cannot access it from my Autodesk Beta Forum Account.
              I will most probably break some rule if I do that. Better contact the Autodesk guys to check why you don't see the files from your account.

Peter Matanov
              Chaos

Comment

Thank you matanov , I will work with the 0.3.0 release then.

Can you tell me if i need to prepare or export my file textures for any vray material before USD export? Or will texture paths remain relative during the vray material export to .USD ? Can or should textures be "packed" into the .USD file, or will texture maps need to be right next to the .USD?

Comment

The Max exporter writes only full asset paths for now. You can export to .usda and then change the paths manually if needed.

Peter Matanov
                  Chaos

Comment

The info in this thread is now kind of old. We've release official support in V-Ray 6.1 and here is the docs page - https://docs.chaos.com/display/VMAX/USD

Peter Matanov
                    Chaos

Comment

hi. not sure where else to ask this - should the usd exporter be creating material files from vray materials on export?
                      i'm using the latest version of the exporter (v0.4.0.2282)
                      when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - hunter s. thompson

Comment

Hi. Currently 3ds Max exports monolithic USD files, containing both materials and geometry.
                        If you have V-Ray materials that are not exported, please first check if you selected the correct Plug-in Configuration in the export window.

Comment

Working...
                        X