Test your vray skillz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test your vray skillz

I just watched The Day the Earth Stood Still, and I really liked this one scene where there is light shining through leaf-less trees with fog. And I thought it be a great exercise to try with Vray fog. However, so far I haven't really done that great so far. I was wondering if anybody has better ideas how to reproduce something like this.

In my scene I have a vray sphere light, and a few different types of fog, though I'm still trying to get the hang of the settings. One sphere gizmo around the light for one of the fogs, and the other 2 have no gizmos. I haven't played around with colors or textures yet - I just wanted the basic look for starters.

How would you get those volumetric rays that you see in this movie grab? I'm really way off, but I don't think it could be that complex to set up.
    Attached Files
    Tim Nelson
    timnelson3d.com

your going to need to put a map into the density slot I think.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Well for starters, I'm retarded. I had GI override set to white, so I was fighting against that and not even realizing it, DUH.

I'll keep playing around and see what I get. Percy, you wanna take a crack at it too? I can email it to you.
      Tim Nelson
      timnelson3d.com

Comment

im up for a challenge too!

PM me
        Chris Jackson
        Shiftmedia
        www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Ok, here's the scene for anybody who wants to try it out. I took out all the atmospheric effects so you can start from scratch. I did leave the light and gizmo that I was using. You'll need Onyx Treestorm - I didn't want to get in any trouble by sharing a mesh from Onyx.

Max 2009 format. And here was the last version of my fog. See what you can do with it.
          Attached Files
          Tim Nelson
          timnelson3d.com

Comment

Can't seem to get the effect using vray fog in your scene. Though can get it to work in a simple scene. Not a problem in After Effects as post of course. Attached is a zip file with adjusted scenes. First image is using standard volume light. Second is simple test using vrayfog and third is after effects post.

http://rapidshare.com/files/241225584/vray_fog_test.zip
            Attached Files
            Last edited by percydaman; 05-06-2009, 12:40 PM.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

ive never had luck with volumetric lights with vray fog

---------------------------------------------------
              MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
              stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Does the fog interact with geometric objects, if it doesn't then I don't see how you can create this effect with Vray fog.

Comment

yes it does. If you go up a few posts and look at my image in the middle, its interacting with the geometry that spells out 'vray'

Comment

Percy, there's no doubt that your Vray text is interacting with the fog but in the other test file you used a volume light instead of fog. In that case the fog doesn't seem to interact with the trees, any idea why?

Comment

good question. I don't have a proper answer. Its just to difficult to push the effect far enough to get that interaction without blowing the entire thing out. *shrug

Comment

Hey all. Heres my attempt:

Comment

Very nice! Care to share some settings?
                          Tim Nelson
                          timnelson3d.com

Comment

Originally posted by timmatron View Post
                            Very nice! Care to share some settings?
                            Thanks. Heres the scene file: http://rapidshare.com/files/243464405/Shadow_land.zip

This was actually the only way i was able to reproduce this effect, not the way it was supposed to be rly^^ I think it should be possible to do with a vraysun, havent tested it yet doh

Comment

Ahh, I see...same light origin, different targets. Very clever! Thanks for posting the file. Got to work on my technique some more...
                              Tim Nelson
                              timnelson3d.com

Comment

Working...
                              X