Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• progressive questions

rebusfarm here

whats the main different about progressive vs all other image samplers Vray has ?
    do I get the same result in terms of antialising and alpha if I (for example) switch from adpative sampler to progressive ?

My idea is to simple render each renderjob I am send via progressive by default but I
    fear the result (beside the image noise) could cause problems in post since an alpha mask rendered without progressive do not fit anymore.
    Or anti aliasing of the mask is masking troubble.

any thoughts ?
    Last edited by QuakeMarine1; 08-11-2014, 08:00 AM.

Originally posted by QuakeMarine1 View Post
    whats the main different about progressive vs all other image samplers Vray has ?
    The progressive sampler refines the whole image at once, whereas the other samples do it in buckets.

do I get the same result in terms of antialising and alpha if I (for example) switch from adpative sampler to progressive ?
    There will probably be slight differences. Additionally, in the current official builds, due to a bug the noise threshold doesn't work properly for the progressive sampler - this is fixed for the next SP though.

fear the result (beside the image noise) could cause problems in post since an alpha mask rendered without progressive do not fit anymore. Or anti aliasing of the mask is masking troubble. any thoughts ?
    Would be best to try it out, I guess. It might still turn out ok in the end.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

sounds promising thx

btw Vlado - I not have Vray2 GUI licenens - it was forgotten with my last wbc update.
      I mailed to suppoirt yet twice but got no solution - just a "forward to sales" notice once.
      well ... ?

Comment

btw Vlado - I not have Vray2 GUI licenens - it was forgotten with my last wbc update. I mailed to suppoirt yet twice but got no solution - just a "forward to sales" notice once. well ... ?
        It would be best to email me to vlado@chaosgroup.com and we'll figure it out. In any case we have on the website a version of V-Ray 2.5 that can use the V-Ray 3.0 GUI licenses to you should be able to use that.

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

I find the progressive render great.

Although, I never found any job where the quality is at least as good as the normal adaptive bucket for the same render times.

I had great hopes for the progressive before it came out but had the find out the hard way that it's definitely not worth for final renders.

So basically, i'm using it only as a RT that has all the features that RT doesn't support. Even if I need to fire a new render each time I do a change.

Stan
          3LP Team

Comment

I must say progresiev is cool due to 2 reason

If I am send a renderjob all my clients ask what the render costs are.
            thats a question noone can answere since noone knows the exact rendertime
            Everything is just guesswork so in many cases the costs for the render turns out over budget.

In progressive you can define the rendertime and time = money
            The cool thing is, my clients can fix the render costs in advance and Rebus render the image until the costs are reached.
            its impossible to have overbudet rendercosts.
            On the other hand user not know what quality he get in return but atleast he get an image and no 57% completed image !!!!!
            The next cool thing is - user can resume the render!
            in case the image noise is too bad just resume the render for additional XX$ and you get a better and better quality.

that 2 points make progress so awsome for renderfarm - i see great potential in that manner.
            My idea and question is - can I simply render all jobs I am send in progressive regardless what user setted up

Comment

Originally posted by 3LP View Post
              Although, I never found any job where the quality is at least as good as the normal adaptive bucket for the same render times. I had great hopes for the progressive before it came out but had the find out the hard way that it's definitely not worth for final renders.
              This is actually quite improved for the service pack and the two modes are getting close in performance.

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                This is actually quite improved for the service pack and the two modes are getting close in performance.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                Hi vlado,

Great news. Are those improvements already included in the .08 version?
                3LP Team

Comment

I must say progresiev is cool due to 2 reason

If I am send a renderjob all my clients ask what the render costs are.
                  thats a question noone can answere since noone knows the exact rendertime
                  Everything is just guesswork so in many cases the costs for the render turns out over budget.

In progressive you can define the rendertime and time = money
                  The cool thing is, my clients can fix the render costs in advance and Rebus render the image until the costs are reached.
                  its impossible to have overbudet rendercosts.
                  On the other hand user not know what quality he get in return but atleast he get an image and no 57% completed image !!!!!
                  The next cool thing is - user can resume the render!
                  in case the image noise is too bad just resume the render for additional XX$ and you get a better and better quality.

that 2 points make progress so awsome for renderfarm - i see great potential in that manner.
                  My idea and question is - can I simply render all jobs I am send in progressive regardless what user setted up
                  I see exactly what you mean, this is already implemented on your farm with corona and it's been great to use this feature!
                  3LP Team

Comment

Originally posted by 3LP View Post
                    Great news. Are those improvements already included in the .08 version?
                    Nope, they are only in the service pack.

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

Hi, i see the resume otpion on the rebus farm...but what about to use it in my workstation? I cannot find documentation. How can i do to resume a progressive rendered imaga?

Thanks

Comment

The way it's done on Rebus is to render a second image with a different DMC seed and then blend the two images together.

Best regards,
                        Vlado

Comment

So is a " trick " made by the rebus team not yet implemented on vray?
                          Thanks
                          Alessandro

Comment

Nothing stops you from doing the same thing manually, but it's not as automatic as you would expect.

Best regards,
                            Vlado

Comment

so basically for the progressive render there is stil no option to resume render? trouble with this method is its hard to know when the render will be good enough so this option would really gel well with it now and its much needed, any idea one when we will see this option in vray?
                              Architectural and Product Visualization at MITVIZ
                              http://www.mitviz.com/
                              http://mitviz.blogspot.com/
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/shawnmitford/

i7 5960@4 GHZm, 64 gigs Ram, Geforce gtx 970, Geforce RTX 2080 ti x2

Comment

Working...
                              X