High RAM usage - tips please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High RAM usage - tips please

We have workstations with 32GB RAM, but our farm has a mixture of machines, some with 16GB and some with 32GB.

Certain artists are sending scenes to render (using DR) and when I monitor the farm using I find that the CPU usage on the farm machines can be very sporadic, jumping between 0 and 15% activity. Simpler scenes (which need less RAM) seem to be far more efficient on the farm and use 100% CPU across the board. It's the more complicated scenes with trees and grass and stuff like that where the problems arise. Is this because RAM use is going beyond the limit of the PCs trying to render them?

I keep trying to explain to my artists that they need to watch how much RAM their scenes are using when rendering, but its not clear to me where the problems lie. Live projects become complex very quickly, and troubleshooting projects 'on-the-fly' is hard work with demanding clients and looming deadlines.

We use quite a few trees in many of our scenes: some are the evermotion ones and more recently we have also been using Laubwerk trees. They are all very good, but have a lot of geometry and (probably) overly complex materials applied to them. My team are also using ForestPro to scatter areas of grass (despite me often warning against that because of render times etc). They probably aren't overly concerned with the resolution of textures they are using in their materials either, so some could easily be 1000-4000 pixels I'd guess. The resolutions we are rendering are also job dependent, but they can be anything up to 8k with several render elements.

Can anyone give guidance as to what causes the main RAM use when rendering? Some people suggest making vray proxies out of the trees. Others say that ForestPro creates its own proxies that do the same thing. Some say that rendering to VRIMG file (particularly in high res renders) can help. Do different GI methods use more RAM with certain high poly complex scenes? Should we be telling grass/trees etc not to generate GI?

It would be great if there were some statistics somewhere that say something like:

"Right mate, you are using some really high poly trees here that are using 12GB just to start rendering. Why don't you optimise them a bit?"
    "Mmm...did you know that you are using some bitmaps that are 4k in size. Try reducing those to 1200 pixels and it'll save a shed-load of RAM."
    "You are rendering an 8k image with 6 render elements. If you render to a VRIMG file instead, you will save 9GB RAM"
    "Those trees should really be in a Forest Pro object and that will save 6GB RAM"
    "Your method of calculating GI will use 13GB RAM. Consider using LC/BF instead"

In essence, is there a way to find out what bits of a scene are causing the biggest spikes in RAM usage so I can target my optimisation efforts appropriately?
    Kind Regards,
    Richard Birket
    ----------------------------------->
    http://www.blinkimage.com

Hi Tricky,

I can't give you exact statistics, it probably will be impossible to provide something like that since every scene is so different in setup, different artists set things up differently all the time too.

What I can tell you is from experience, the DR machine should never exceed in ram usage that of the main server, typically for me all the dr nodes actually use less ram.

In case of RAM vs vrproxy, actually vr proxy is always going to be slower then regular geometry - first it has to be read from disk/network, while regular geo even heavy one will be already in ram when scene opens and render begins. The benefit of proxy is that - if you have a scene which requires 24 gb of ram and you only have 16, it will still render, swaping in and out of memory, vs regular mesh will just run out of ram and crash. This will take longer though.

If your network / server is not fast enough to keep up with the high bandwidth too, loading of proxies, scenes will take longer, and if they have to by dynamic (which proxies are anyway) then loading/unloading them will take even longer. What if your scene has 10-20 proxies each 100-200 mb, reading that data constantly from network between several artists will certainly cap it.

I can tell you though, that recently I've upgraded my farm, I had a mix of 16, 24, 32 and 48 gb of ram on my render nodes. I've upgraded all of them to 48 and though they are exactly same nodes (cpu xeon x5650) I've immediately saw a dramatic difference in performance: those which got more ram rendered faster, then before, and my render time became very uniform across entire farm.

Generally how windows / rendering will work is that if you have more ram, it will use it, if you don't it will (page probably instead). My 16 gb render slaves still got the frames done but it took 40 min per frame vs the 48 gb which took just 10 min per frame.
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

32gb isnt enough for commercial arch vis stuff. the easiest and cheapest way around this is to buy more

Comment

+1 for buying more ram.
        Quicker and easier than trying to reduce memory usage in scenes.
        I had a project that choked 32gb machines and was about an hour a frame but once I switched to 64gb that went down to about 30mins a frame.
        Chris Jackson
        Shiftmedia
        www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Originally posted by squintnic View Post
          32gb isnt enough for commercial arch vis stuff. the easiest and cheapest way around this is to buy more
          Not necessarily the easiest as some of our farm can't have more than 16GB installed. I will need to go through and check mobo specs.
          Kind Regards,
          Richard Birket

Comment

Originally posted by Morbid Angel View Post
            The benefit of proxy is that - if you have a scene which requires 24 gb of ram and you only have 16, it will still render, swaping in and out of memory, vs regular mesh will just run out of ram and crash. This will take longer though.
            If I don't use proxies, and the ram is exceeded, will a machine just not render at all? I thought it would render, but much more slowly as it would need to keep saving out to disk all the time to, in effect, increase the level of RAM the machine has. This would be a revelation to me and a hugely important one!
            Kind Regards,
            Richard Birket

Comment

Originally posted by tricky View Post
              If I don't use proxies, and the ram is exceeded, will a machine just not render at all? I thought it would render, but much more slowly as it would need to keep saving out to disk all the time to, in effect, increase the level of RAM the machine has. This would be a revelation to me and a hugely important one!
              No it would not render. Lets say you try to load a model that has 100 million polys, during rendering it might require 256 gb of ram but if you only have 16, it will just crash. That's how it typically goes. Now proxy will allow you to load some bits for the buckets that are currently used, then unload them, and load some more for next ones. Its much slower, but allows you to render larger data sets with less ram.

People think that having everything in proxy will automatically solve their problems, but it won't while it will render images, it won't exactly speed things up, or make things more efficient.
              Dmitry Vinnik
              Silhouette Images Inc.
              ShowReel:
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
              https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Originally posted by Morbid Angel View Post
                No it would not render. Lets say you try to load a model that has 100 million polys, during rendering it might require 256 gb of ram but if you only have 16, it will just crash. That's how it typically goes.
                Yikes. I wasn't aware of this. I always (seemingly wrongly!) thought that a machine would fill up its RAM and if it needed more, it would just 'extend' into (slow) hard disk space as it needed. I didn't realise the render would just fail! It would mean the render would happen more slowly, but it would still complete.

Can this be confirmed at all? (not that I don't believe you).
                Kind Regards,
                Richard Birket

Comment

it shouldn't crash until you run out of virtual memory too.

you should need less ram if you render BF/BF rather than lightcache. probably still be slower though.

I remember when i used to use vrayscatter/multiscatter. that it used way too much ram on big scenes with lightcache. not really an issue now that i use forest.

Comment

A scene I have rendering right now is using 28.5GB on the local machine. It has been sent to all our render famr machines (some of which have only 16GB). This particular scene is rendering at 100% CPU load on every machine, so this suggests the 3dsmax session does not necessarily crash as stated by Dmitry.

Logging into one of these machines with 16GB ram, the 3dsmax session is using 14.2GB RAM at 99-100% CPU load. Presumably that means the other 14GB or so is somewhere in 'swap-disk-land'?

So, yet more confusion...where one person states that Max will crash if it needs more RAM than contained in the machine, my setup suggests otherwise (though this doesn't explain the problems I often get - and how this thread began - where the farm just sits there between 0-10% cpu load on more complex machines).
                    Kind Regards,
                    Richard Birket

Comment

as long as you don't go over your maximum commit (ram+virtual memory) it shouldn't crash. but it will be much slower going over ram.

don't use windows auto size, it will crash before it resizes anything.

but making more use of proxies is going to be better than using virtual memory.

none of this will make your renders faster though.

Comment

I've found that other render machines seem to crash when RAM fills, and as others have said upgrading is the easy solution. 16GB seems to be a very low maximum, how old are those computers and how much are they contributing?

Comment

Originally posted by Kim Laughton View Post
                          I've found that other render machines seem to crash when RAM fills, and as others have said upgrading is the easy solution. 16GB seems to be a very low maximum, how old are those computers and how much are they contributing?
                          With more straightforward scenes, they contribute a lot. Problem is I don't think some of them can have more than 16/32GB installed so would mean replacing mobo and reinstalling.
                          Kind Regards,
                          Richard Birket

Comment

Some of my artists are using progressive rendering during scene setup and for general testing. Does having not enough RAM have a more significant effect in progressive rendering? I wonder if these are the situations where we are seeing 0-10% CPU usage?
                            Kind Regards,
                            Richard Birket

Comment

Originally posted by tricky View Post
                              Yikes. I wasn't aware of this. I always (seemingly wrongly!) thought that a machine would fill up its RAM and if it needed more, it would just 'extend' into (slow) hard disk space as it needed. I didn't realise the render would just fail! It would mean the render would happen more slowly, but it would still complete.

Can this be confirmed at all? (not that I don't believe you).
                              that is correct actually.. as long as the pagefile is large enough it will swap to the hard drive. if the pagefile size is exceeded it will crash.

Comment

Working...
                              X