Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRScene in Max - Extract?

Hi all

Is it posssible to extract mesh from a vrscene file, similar like it is possible from vrmesh file?

I need to import vrscene, but also need to be able to modify/move individual items in the vrcene
    Last edited by Morne; 23-03-2017, 03:39 AM.
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

There are override commands you can put in your vrscene object.... not easy to use right now however though....
    Maxscript made easy....
    davewortley.wordpress.com
    Follow me here:
    facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

If you don't MaxScript, then have a look at my blog and learn how easy and powerful it can be.

Comment

Great. Hope it gets easier soon
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

There is one less than convenient way, but still it should work. You can use the ply2vrmesh tool to convert a vrscene to vrmesh, then import the vrmesh in max and restore it. For some time now the ply2vrmesh tool has been able to convert vrscenes and if you know the name of the object you want to extract, then you are in luck (you will have to know the name, otherwise it's guesswork for large scenes).

Here's how it works, the ply2vrmesh has some vrscene specific commands.
        Start the tool in a cmd window (usually "C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\3dsmax 2017 for x64\tools\ply2vrmesh.exe")
        Use
        Code:
        ply2vrmesh <yourScene>.vrscene -vrsceneList
        Now you should have a list of all nodes (objects) in the vrscene. If the scene objects are named properly, then it's easy (otherwise you'll have a list of object1, object2... object2002).

Then use
        Code:
        ply2vrmesh <yourScene>.vrscene -vrsceneNodeName <nameOfObjectToExtract>
        This will save out a vrmesh file at the same location where the vrscene is, and you can import it as vrayProxy in max and restore the mesh.
        Here's a short video of how this works: https://youtu.be/9yvZ2HTINfE

WARNING: This might not be the cleanest of workflows, just letting you know in advance in case the mesh breaks unexpectedly after being restored I seem to fail to convert it to poly, although editing it as an editMesh seems to work fine. For some reason, converting to editPatch and then to poly works just fine Hope this is helpful.
        Last edited by yolov; 25-03-2017, 09:28 AM.
        Alex Yolov
        Product Manager
        V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
        www.chaos.com

Comment

Working...
        X