Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bump map slot now at the top of the Maps rollout of Material Editor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by super gnu View Post
    while i can understand the desire to rearrange a bit (having bump at the bottom of a long list is a touch annoying) sticking it at the top above diffuse is illogical. as is putting gtr tail falloff and anisotropy above refraction and (refraction) glossiness (should specify.. as it stands there are two identically named glossiness map slots) seems like the changed order of the slots was done semi randomly!

for me, the top of the rollout could be as follows:

diffuse
    reflection
    refl. glossiness
    bump
    refraction
    refr.glossiness
    self illumination

and then all the others..

im sure others will suggest totally different orders.
    +1 from as well!
    https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Completely agree. Top four should be :

diffuse
      reflection
      refl. glossiness
      bump

Please re-arrange choas group!
      Nick Martin

ScreenAge - 3D Visualisation

www.screenage.com.au

Comment

and there is something else... the map navigator... there the bump map is at the end. https://c2n.me/3UXwVtB.png
        I vote for the old setup, all materials are like the standard material in max.so move it back please.

best regards
        themaxxer
        Pixelschmiede GmbH
        www.pixelschmiede.ch

Comment

I didn't notice the bump map had been moved until the changes I was doing to the 'diffuse' weren't making the difference I was expecting.......

Crazy idea to put reorder it from the way it was (well, to this) - sorry guys, major bad idea in my mind.
          Jez

------------------------------------
          3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
          Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
          ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

Comment

There's a chunk of empty space next to the diffuse map in the basic parameters rollout... might be cool to put a bump input there. Then it's really at the top!

Comment

I would like it back to where it was as well, after many years of working with 3dsmax and the order of materials, to all of a sudden change that can mess up a LOT of seasoned users as someone said above and I ran into the same issue of trying to edit the diffuse channel only to find out after a bit of frustration that I was editing the bump and not the diffuse. After many years all I saw was diffuse and muscle memory played a big part of that as well.
              Cheers,
              -dave
              â–  ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X â–  ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX â–  ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX â–  GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX â–  ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k â– 

Comment

Just adding my voice to the choir, it is much more natural to have diffuse at the top.

Comment

Rarely seen a discussion so passionate on this board
                  Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
                  www.AddYourLight.com
                  Always looking to learn, become better and serve better.

Comment

Is this still being considered? Was suprised to see this too.
                    A.

---------------------
                    www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

And in Slate, it's in 4th place under Diffuse, Reflection and Refraction. Actually, we should be able to reorder all of those to our liking in some sort of .ini or config file...

Comment

I was thinking that's what happened when I first saw it, that I accidentally pushed a button I never saw or setting somewhere but alas.
                        A.

---------------------
                        www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Sooooooooo Chaos? Wakey wakey? Bugging me and my colleagues everyday and I guess this goes for the rest here too. The proposed order of super gnu sounds good, please rearrange and also clean up the leftovers of unsupported stuff in slate, and make sure the order in slate is the same as in the maps rollout. Thank you kindly.
                          A.

---------------------
                          www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Seems that the bump map slot is still at the top of the list in Update 2 which is quite confusing even a year later. Are there plans to fix this?
                            Aleksandar Mitov
                            www.renarvisuals.com
                            office@renarvisuals.com

3ds Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1
                            AMD Ryzen 9 9950X 16-core
                            64GB DDR5
                            GeForce RTX 3090 24GB + GPU Driver 551.86

Comment

can we get a random shuffle button to make our day more exciting?
                              WerT
                              www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by werticus View Post
                                can we get a random shuffle button to make our day more exciting?
                                Great idea!

I personally got used to the slot position.
                                It's still a bad positioning but there are worse things in life.
                                Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
                                www.AddYourLight.com
                                Always looking to learn, become better and serve better.

Comment

Working...
                                X