Displacement ocean very slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Displacement ocean very slow

I'm rendering a yacht and an ocean with a vray clipper cutting the yacht in half. I'm using PheonixFDOceanTex to create the displacement of the ocean. Default geometry is set to static and dyn memory = 0 (unlimited)
    GI BF/LC (although LC is turned off at the moment to debug but the LC does takes ages to calculate.)

If I just render the ocean with it takes approximately 7min (this time isn't important)
    If I just render the yacht and clipper it take 7mins (neither is this)
    But if I render the them both together it takes 20mins (this is important) with buckets taking x3 longer on the yacht geometry than when rendered in isolation.

At first I thought it was reflections in the materials taking longer to calculate the complex water surface, but the above render time is using a basic 128 grey override material.

The clipper doesn't seem to be affecting the render times as it's the same if I turn it off, the clipper only included the yacht geometry.

It only seems to be when the displacement plane and other geometry render together that the render time triples and I don't understand why?

The same goes for the LC, calculates very quick(<3 mins) with either the displacement isolated or the other geometry isolated, but together the LC takes about 15mins, plus the additional long render-time is a real ball breaker.

Can anyone suggest a way to get it rendering together quicker, or what I should do to debug it more?

Thanks

Simon

.... . .-.. .--. .-.-.- .--. .-.. . .- ... . ... . -. -.. -.-. .... --- -.-. --- .-.. .- - .
    I need a new signature
    --
    Max2017.1 | Vray 3.70.01| win11
    ASUS Z790PLUS | i9 13900K | 64Gb RAM | Geforce GTX4070Ti
Working...
X