No announcement yet.

Ram Full - Prepass only using 25% cpu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok if i override the textures with just a solid color it renders at 100% cpu

and when i enable the texture it doesnt. Now the texture the only bitmaps being used is on the cars.

So i turned the car xref off. But still no luck didnt render at 100% All the rest of the materials are just colors. no bitmaps.

Any ideas?

Comment

Did you restart max after turning the x-refs off, if not their maps were probably still in memory or you could type freescenebitmaps() in the listener

Just sounds like your scene is too big, you should look at breaking it up into layers and comping it together
      Eric Boer
      Dev

Comment

I've found what it is now.

It doesnt matter which xrefs i turn on. All will render fine by themselfs.

The problem is as soon as i go over 4gb of ram. It only renders at 25% cpu. Rendering the vrimg file helps.

Has anyone else experianced this at all ? Anyway around it ?

Comment

hmmm, weird, what hardware are you running?
          Eric Boer
          Dev

Comment

I would assume its something like as soon as you breach your physical memory limit you start paging to disk which is dead slow compared to RAM, so therefore the whole process slows down to keep up with the speed of the disk?

Other than trying to lower your memory usage or by more memory you might be stuck.

Comment

vlado just going to post your email reply, just to help anyone else:

The problem is that when the rendering goes over the size of the physical
              RAM in the machine, Windows starts swapping portions of the memory to the
              hard disk, which is very slow and done by one thread only, since disk
              operations can be done only by one core at a time.

The solutions would be to either put more physical memory into the machine,
              or to try and reduce the memory required by the scene for rendering. There
              are some tips for reducing memory usage on this page:
              http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150R...ooting.htm#ram

Looks like i may need more ram ! 4gb just isnt enough now days !

Comment

ssssssssssssssnap

Comment

Working...
                X