Anyone experience similar problems with FX 3800 and Vray RT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone experience similar problems with FX 3800 and Vray RT

Hi everyone,first post on here so hopefully i've place in correct section.

I'll start with my machine spec -

XP 64
    Boxx 2.26 Dual Xeon 5520 (16 cores)
    12 gb DDR3 Ram
    Raid 2 x 500gb and a program drive 250gb
    Nvidia Quadro FX3800 1gb

Software -

3ds Max 2010 Design SP1
    Vray 1.5S SP4a
    Vray RT (current version i think 1.5)

Ok...As a start i've had numerous graphics issues with regard to orbiting,slow,not really the speed of when i used to use FX4500.Is there that much difference in cards,FX4500 was a dream to use at my old workplace and 8 core same spec machine.The 3800 just doesnt IMHO run well.

I have the driver v.190.38 which is supposed to be from Autodesks PDF the certified driver for Design 2010. I also have a 1700 in my other machine which uses v.162.5 driver,in the control panel 3ds Max is a profile to use but with the FX 3800 it isnt listed anymore,it has Maya and Mudbox.Does anyone have an idea as to why or help on setting a profile up.

Onto more problems.If i have a fairly small scene with VRay Cam/Sun i use a sort of Gamma 2.2 setup with colour mapping and a colour correction map set to .4545 on the diffuse channel. When running RT if im using it for say 30mins and i close the active shade window and then re-open it i get an error message - something like this in the VRAY RT active shade window - Unrecoverable error,vray has caused an unrecoverable error and 3ds max needs restarting ( its not 100% the exact wording but v.close)....Has anyone else had this error.

Other problems are with VRAY Scatter,i have a scene with lots of XRef'd tree's. When im working on a particular project and i apply the Xref within the scene Max can just drop out completely with no error message,also if it doesnt crash when enabling the Xref and i hit render,it may just drop out at that point. I reopen Max and the file and Render again and its fine..This happens an awful lot. All my software is all licensed so i know its not the problem,i purchased my hardware from Escape Studios and an IT guy has come and thoroughly tested my hardware and put it down to VRAY Rt looking like its the culprit but from reading Spot3d i find that VRAY RT doesnt really crash.Has anyone encountered anything like my problem. I spent £3600 on Max recently as my 2009 version wasnt licensed and i still get the same little problems that 2009 had with regards to RT and Graphics.

Could this be my LWF,i know of someone who uses the same setup or v.similar and doesnt have the same issues.

Its becoming a pain now spending so much money on equip that just seems very unstable,dont really have problems in other programs tho ie photoshop etc.

If anyone has any advice on the graphics issues or if Vlado can let me know if RT could be causing the problem (i got to the point where i was thinking RT was crashing due to the Xref being in the scene)

I will list a few other problems to see if others have similar problems.
    - While panning at certain times if i pan or orbit in Max looking thru the Vray Cam,its as tho my pan is super quick to the point where you cannot control it anymore,moving etc is the same,you have to restart max to fix the problem.?

- I have alot of files that when it crashes corrupts my current file,so i have hundreds of iterations of files to be safe

If anyone has a similar spec machine and there's run's perfect please let me know

Cheers and hope i didnt bore you all

Lee
Working...
X