Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dynamically pick Ray Bundle Size depending on number of CPU threads and resolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynamically pick Ray Bundle Size depending on number of CPU threads and resolution

I decided to do a few test with the "Ray bundle size" parameter of the Progressive image sampler and I found that it can play a notable role in render time and can either lower of increase with all other render settings being equal. I've found that smaller resolutions or region renders benefit from smaller RBS number while larger resolutions and region renders benefit from a larger RBS number. Sometimes the difference can be up to two times longer render times.

So knowing this, would it be possible to create an algorithm that dynamically and automatically controls RBS depending on these two variables (RBS and rendered resolution)? Or is it not that simple as my findings show and manual is better? If there are fringe cases where manual is better, maybe there could still be a button that unlocks manual setting which is hidden under an "Advanced/Expert" toggle as in other places in the Vray interface?
    Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
    AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2
Working...
X