Mean to generate a clean matte from a refracting object

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mean to generate a clean matte from a refracting object

* Title should say "Means" to generate.... no way to edit this after posting?

This seems like such a simple thing to achieve, yet if there is a way to do it in Vray I haven't yet discovered it.

If I have a refractive object and want to generate a matte for objects that are being refracted in it, whether it be via cryptomatte or a multimatte, it's necessary to turn on "All Channels" in the refracting shader's advanced refraction rollout. Great, this works and if I need to color correct the refracted object this is the matte I need.

However, there are FREQUENTLY situations where I ALSO want a solid matte of the refracting object for any number of reasons (that is WITHOUT the contribution of the refracted object or objects).

So far as I can tell, there is no way to output both of these in a single render pass. Turning on "All Channels" means just that -- you'll get refractions in every single render element. This is even the case when using object IDs, rather than material based multimattes, which seems very unintuitive.

This usually also has the unwanted effect of creating problems in other passes such as AO. This really seems like a huge limitation.

I'd like to see the options for advanced refractions modified, probably with an addition for something like "RGB + Cryptomatte" or something similar that would still then allow for an additional matte element e.g. a multimatte to be set up that does NOT include refractions, and also does not mess up other passes like AO. Ultimately, ideally this would be something that could be completely controlled at the render element level, rather than globally in the shader as it is now.

This is no small thing and can cause massive problems after a long, expensive render if you then realize you haven't accounted for all your comping needs.
    Last edited by SonyBoy; 28-07-2021, 10:03 AM.
Working...
X