My First Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Impressions

I just got a chance to finally get back to some rendering, and finally a good solid chance to use VrayRT. I'm working an archvis scene right now.

Here's my system(s):
    Dual Quad Xeon 5355 (8 cores)
    8 gigs ram
    nVidia Geforce 260

I also have another comp that I turned on specifically to run this scene on Vray RT. It's quad core Q6600.

First Impressions:
    1. I'm very happy with this system. It allows me to more or less constantly review a scene, materials, and lighting. Stuff that I would normally render then go back and fix now allows me to review with less time rendering tests.

2. On the main system alone (dual quads), the system running an exterior scene (827,000 polys) works very smoothly. Rough updates are probably about 1/2 a second.

3. When I got to the interior, I added a lot of reflections and glass everywhere. Unfortunately, I can't show the image but it is a 4 story building with atrium.

I turned on the other computer yet the system seemed to still handle it fairly well.

4. The building is large and each of the floors seen from the atrium was dark, so I added a lot of lights. Plus this scene will show as dusk from the exterior. In all, I added 60 Vraylights and set the subs low to around 1-2 each. Now the scene is slowing down - I think mostly due to all the lights I've added. Rough/noisy previews fill in immediately - it becomes intelligible around 1-2 minutes.

Still, all in all I can continue working (modeling or texturing) from a different perspective while the RT continues to process. I glance over on occasion and see if anything needs changing in the meantime.

5. I'm pretty certain if I added more computers to DR the RT, the preview times will go back down to a very low value once again. Again, this is a fairly complicated scene - I'm trying to light the exterior and interior in one file/setup. Normally, a scene wouldn't require as many lights.

Issues/Problems:

1. Layers not working properly with RT. I really need to work with layers. I usually put lights on one layers, people on another, cars on another, vegetation, etc. Of course I'm always turning these off to speed up modeling and the viewports. However, I just put lights on one layer and tried to turn them off but they didn't go off.

This is probably my biggest wish for a fix. It's pretty critical to the way I work and would also speed up RT.

2. As mentioned in other threads, a certain LWF method of baking the gamma in to the VrayFB is off in RT. That's my most common workflow and one several others use. It is one of two proper methods. The other ones including RWF is technically incorrect - although they may preview fine.

3. Inconsitencies while locking camera and trying to move around in other working views such as perspective. Mentioned before. I can deal with this, however it is very obvious and pretty annoying.

Summary:
    I really like this system. I see great potential. I'm sure as I work more with it I will probably find it indispensable. It has no noticeable impact on the way I'm working which was a main concern, and I think of many others. I can still open browsers, listen to music, continue working, etc.

I already want to turn on more computers, but I'm afraid of my electric bill.
    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog
Working...
X