does anyone know if these 5150 dual core cpu’s can be replaced by quad core cpu’s at a later point, or is that science fiction?
sorry for another workstation thread, but we are quite small and about to buy 7-8 of these so it is kind of a critical decision,
and i could really need some input from you guys before we open our wallets
In my experience, you never actually end up upgrading anything. By the time you get around to it, you realize the machine is best retired to a render node, and you buy a new workstation.
I would go for the final target spec of what you are going for. Besides, you wouldn’t want to try and upgrade a pre-built corporate box would you? If you actually do want to upgrade later, build your own machines, or go with a (semi) custom workstation builder like Armari (http://www.armari.co.uk/) Unlike building it yourself, you get 3 years on-site warranty with such a company. And you can work on it yourself if you want because the insides are nice and clean unlike an HP box which is crammed full of crap.
In my experience, you never actually end up upgrading anything. By the time you get around to it, you realize the machine is best retired to a render node, and you buy a new workstation.
yep, that was my initial thoughts too, but we might be thinking of a cpu upgrade within a year or so, so the idea of double speed with a simple cpu change sounds interesting…
as for the HP stations we’ve been promised some good prices, and if an upgrade is relevant, we got some certified guys to handle the crap in the box
got some new info today, and it seems the LGA771 mobo will handle both dual and quad core
been promised some prices yesterday(!), will post when i get them
Well according to Tom’s Hardware the new processors are really good. Not sure how that FSB will effect a bottleneck. Depends how much you trust the revewers/benchmarks over at Tom’s. Otherwise you’ll be waiting till January for the AMD quads which I believe run on Socket AM2 motherboards.
It’s basically the same workstation but with the advantage to use it with bootcamp in dual OS mode: 3d workstation and gfx workstation.
It will cost in your configuration, but with the quadro 4500, which costs 500bucks more, about 5200euro - ask apple what they can do when you buy 7-8 workstations and i think you will get a different offer.
I also would suggest to wait few weeks(/month?) with upgrading ram ..it’s a bit expansive now.
I’m also sure that they will not offer a upgrade to quad cpu’s, since they want to sell you new apples.
Something I’ve fantasized was, in case of making a purchase of several systems at a time, to purchase dual systems but with only one processor, the fastest at the moment, and a few months later add the missing ones, so the feel would be as if upgrading to a new system again.
The idea was buying systems by couples, and when adding the new processor, remove the old one form one system, use it on the other one (gurarntee the 2 chips are equal) and add the 2 new ones on the now empty system.
But then, I have not done it myself, just upgraded hardware at work, got exaclyt the same system as you (Duall 5150s + quadro 3500 + 4 Gigs of RAM + 2 x 20" sony monitors) and 2 1U racks with also dual 5150s and 2 Gigs of RAM each as rendering nodes (they are noisy like hell those 1U rack things) hope tomorrow will have everything installed and working
So I could have done what I suggest, at least with the render nodes, have today 2 single 5160s today, and update to one dual 5160 + 1 dual whatever it is the new quad core thingy to come, but I did not.
Run the cornell box test today and the workstation benched 2m 9,2 s, after performing some other tests, I’d say it is 3.5 times faster than the old dual 2.8Ghz Xeon I had (7m 50,1 s in the cornell box bench).
hmm, mac’s? i’m sure they are good, but very pricey and i just don’t feel comfortable around mac’s
regarding the single cpu systems for a later addon, that is an interesting thought fermi, we’ll have to discuss that option. although i am a little hesitant of buying the ultra latest hardware because of price/performance ratios.
…and to be honest, not very keen on waiting for the quad core systems, i want this shit now now now!
just for the record, i am currently benchmarking the cornell at an amazing 14 minutes! so my impatience is more than justified
hmm… i did it once on a couple of workstations…and im not gonna do it again… when u buy the 2nd processors u will have faster better options within the same price tag..in the end i felt like there was no upgrade