Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animation Render on Chaos Cloud - best render settings

Hi...

We have been rendering a 6000 frame animation (for 3 countries so all assets change) on Chaos cloud, and the cloud system is amazing but the credits are being eaten very quickly!.

We are rendereing a 1440p animation - total of 18,000 frames, we dont have time to render in house as dont have power to do this.

Could someone help, we have looked at render settings (see attached render settings), can anyone recommend a way to reduce speed significantly without a massive drop in quality?....
    the animation has lots of moving objects so we cant pre calc Irr map, and have gone for what we think is pretty low settings already..... but maybe we have missed something as we tend to do stills.

Current render time is average 14mins per frame on Chaos Cloud.

Anyone help with this? just looking for advice to get faster time?

Comment

I wish I could help but it's likely that you'll need to wait for Chaos support and maybe sending a scene file.
      Depending on what type of scene it is it may well render quicker with BF/LC with lowish settings and denoiser, without all the hassle of IR settings.
      Material and other tweaks can always help and even trying it in Vantage may pay off, as that is extremely quick and you may be able to do that in-house.
      Good luck
      https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

thanks, I do a few tests with BF.....

Is there any other settings that will make much difference? I think the noise is as low as I want to go, but for instance does using something other than Reinhard speed things up?

Comment

I'm afraid that I haven't used Irradiance map for years, as it's been replaced by BF/LC.
          Colour mapping methods don't slow/speed anything afaik.

To be honest, without knowing what sort of scene it is...how complex the geometry and materials are for example, or whether there's displacement or other
          time-consuming things happening, it's hard to say what may be tweaked. Maybe post a frame where there's a lot happening...

You may have one or a few materials that are slowing things down for instance. Or maybe the scene just needs some general optimisations.
          You can try adding a sample rate render element to see if it is having trouble with
          any particular area or object's material. You could check bounces for refractions/reflections...all sorts really.

14 mins per frame doesn't sound too bad actually, but again this depends on what the content is....what speeds were you getting in-house on one machine?

Comment

Ok thanks for info, the scene is massive, bascially a cityscape but cant really show
            I think 14mins is pretty much as good as can get so will continue with that (thats with displacement off).... Ill do a few tests tomorrow but we found that BF/LC was alot slower which is why we went to IRR for rendering the animation... the quality was not 100% but was so much faster...

Comment

If it's a cityscape then definitely try Vantage...it should handle that with ease if you have a GPU that'll handle the scene.

Comment

Hi,

We will recommend you to use Bruteforce / Light cache and VRayDenoiser. You can also use a higher noise threshold to reduce render time and credits.
                You can make tests with a few frames using different noise threshold and see which will work best for you.

You can find out more about V-Ray render settings in our article here.
                For animations, it's recommended to use the Standalone denoiser tool that has frame blending. Find out more here.

Martin Minev | chaos.com
                Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
                X