New annoying log behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New annoying log behavior

In the past month or two I've noticed a new behavior that is finally to the point I must request it to be fixed.
    Now submitting a job opens this new vray log dialog. It seems to do it even when set to only show on error. This never used to open as far back as I remember. It is super annoying to have an additional box pop up, only to have to use the gear button tell it to "dock."
    (Which would be fine if it actually worked, but even changing the setting has no effect.)
    Anyway, can this be made like it used to be (a couple of months ago) please?
    Thanks in advance...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-03-11 132222.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	1178787 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-04-23 174208.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	1178788 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-03-12 070835.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	1178789

Hi,

I looked at it and I am not sure if I understand correctly the issue you face based on the screenshot so let me clarify this first :

- The V-Ray Log dialog has a drop down to filter incoming message with a severity equal or greater. I.e. if you set Error only, only messages marked as an "error" should be printed in the log.
    - in the Render setup there is a "Log" and a "Verbose level" parameters. The "Log" param (although badly named as it related to the popup/focus policy) determines the condition for showing (popping up) the log. If set on "Only on error", only an error message(*) will raise the V-Ray log window (if not already visible).
    The "Verbose level" matches the filter in the V-Ray Log dialog.

Going though your message :
    - "Now submitting a job opens this new vray log dialog."
    Do you have any warning or error from the export process ? If yes then the log will indeed popup (see next point).

- "It seems to do it even when set to only show on error."
    Here I can see a UI bug to be improved : the V-Ray Log may raise if a warning is logged, even if the filter level is set to Error only which is not particularly useful since the warning itself will be filtered out so not visible.
    If I fix this point, then only real errors would raise the V-Ray log in your case.
    Is that what you see and would like to be fixed ?

- "Which would be fine if it actually worked, but even changing the setting has no effect."
    Which settings ? the V-Ray log filter or the Log policy ?

Christophe COT
    Software Developer - Chaos
    christophe.cot@chaos.com

Comment

Hi Christophe,

Well, sorry, I will try to simplify, lol.

(Behavior set to "error only.")
      But, the log/dialog still shows up if:
      There are warnings and no errors.

Interestingly enough, the job I submitted an hour ago, acted normally again. Maybe it is fixed?

Thanks again and best regards!

Comment

Hi,

We are currently working on a fix for this odd Log behavior. Now any warning will bring the log window out when set to Error only, exactly as you noted.
        If all QA tests are passed, the fix will go to the next Update.
        Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Originally posted by tashko.zashev View Post
          Hi,

We are currently working on a fix for this odd Log behavior. Now any warning will bring the log window out when set to Error only, exactly as you noted.
          If all QA tests are passed, the fix will go to the next Update.
          Hello, thanks a lot for the update. I really appreciate it, have q great day.
          Last edited by voltron7; 05-05-2023, 05:24 AM.

Comment

The fix for the undocking log has been finalized, so most probably it will be part of the next V-Ray 6 Update

Comment

Greetings...just noticed it still happens every time...

Name:	Screenshot 2023-06-23 095608.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	1184460

Comment

We haven't released a new V-Ray update since the fixes made about this log window issue.
                But you can test the last V-Ray 6 Stable nightly build and provide feedback, The fix is already added there.

Comment

Hi all,

Is the log behaviour being fixed? It still randomnly comes alive, particularly if you switch to Vantage livelink and then back to Vray CPU render.

Thanks as always.

Jason
                  AMD Threadripper 3990x 64C Processor, 128 GB DDR4-3200 Ram, 48 GB PNY Quadro RTX A6000, ​Windows Pro 10.0.19045, 3dsmax 2024 SP3, Vray 6 Update 2.1, Vantage 2.3.0​

Comment

Make sure that you have the Error only set for the log and you are using the last Stable nightly builds.
                    But if you have any errors, then it will show up for sure.

Name:	2023-07-04_12-38-17.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	1185266

Comment

Hi tashko.zashev,

Can we request to turn it off permanently by default in all flavours whether it's GPU, CPU or Vantage Livelink, etc ? As it stands setting the Log to any of the settings gets lost when changing to GPU and Vantage livelink, hence this is why it keeps reappearing and annoying users.

Thanks again,

Jason
                      AMD Threadripper 3990x 64C Processor, 128 GB DDR4-3200 Ram, 48 GB PNY Quadro RTX A6000, ​Windows Pro 10.0.19045, 3dsmax 2024 SP3, Vray 6 Update 2.1, Vantage 2.3.0​

Comment

Having the log info hidden or disabled by default is not an option as there can be useful error messages like missing license, nonsupport features ,e.t.c.
                        But this one we have to fix, the conditions of the Log is not preserved when using the automatic switch from the Live link button and the error Log type is reset. The setting should stay the same as we have this for the manual CPU / GPU engine switch.
                        Will make a not about this. Thank you for pointing this out.

VMAX-13424
                        Last edited by tashko.zashev; 05-07-2023, 05:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X