Residential Exteriors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Residential Exteriors

Have not posted anything here in a while, been slow, maybe picking back up but hard to say. This is a bit different than my usual mountain based projects. It's a house in an inland central CA neighborhood. Renderings are for HOA review board approval.
    Attached Files
    mark f.
    openrangeimaging.com

Max 2023.3.4 | Vray 6 update 2 | Win 10

Core i7 6950 | GeForce RTX 2060 | 64 G RAM

Good job! both look too yellowish on my pc
    Best regards,
    Jackie Teh
    --

3ds max design 2023, V-Ray 6, Update 2.1 [6.20.07 build 32575]
    AMD Threadripper 1950X @3.40 GHz | 64GB RAM | Nvidia RTX 3070 ti
    Email: info@sporadicstudio.com
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/SporadicStudio

Comment

Thanks for your reply Jackie. The stucco is a color that the client(s) picked and they approved how it appears in the renderigns. It has a yellowish lean to it for sure. The client calls it Ochre, but that's another one of those color names, like bronze, that can have many different interpretations. I do have my monitor color calibrated FWIW and the color does not seem too much yellow to me, esp on the back view where the vray sun is a bit higher in the sky.Thanks again for commenting!
      mark f.
      openrangeimaging.com

Comment

I'm not so much a fan I'm afraid, so I will critique as best I can - and with the best of intentions of course .

I would argue that the texturing needs a bit of work; on the asphalt, the kerbs and the driveway - to break up the regularity/tiling of it and to introduce a little 'chaos'. I'm not sure how those kerbs are constructed in reality but these look a bit too smooth for my liking.
        The sky's resolution doesn't really match the cg bits, so I would swap that out for one that best matches and that relates to the camera shift I suggest below.

With the trees, especially the thujas (or whatever they are) on the left....they look a bit odd, so they don't bed into the background too well. It's almost like they are self-illuminated, which I've seen with these models' shaders before.
        The grasses also seem to be a bit too bright overall, which leads to a bit of a lack in contrast I think. It's a bit subjective, so not a big deal.

If you lowered the camera (and shifted the sun a little so it casts longer shadows on the drive) it could well improve the composition, as currently everything is looking very horizontal (looking at the roof lines). I would use depth of field also, making those foreground grasses blur and increasing the focus on the house. I would choose to also zoom out a bit, as currently it feels a little cramped.

Caveat: As always, if the client is happy, then just leave it as it is
        https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

When I went solo about 5 years ago I decided to invest 10% on every job for assets. I did this so my library stayed fresh, which it did. I was looking at your image and I think your work would benefit from this, too. Your images all look technically correct, but, they look dated. I would put them in the '90s, and I think that is because of your aging assets. I bet you that better trees, plans, and HDRI's would bring your work over the top. Just a suggestion.
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com
          e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
          phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
          • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
          • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

fixeighted - agree the drive could use some breakup. the curbs are roll curbs and what I have is very much like what exists at the site.Agree on the cyprus trees. added at last minute and I could tone down the green. the camera is a t eye level for the human perspective and to relate the view for the neighbors on th the HOA. I don't want to lower the target because it makes the house too centered in the composition and then includes even more foreground. The sun is also already at a pretty low angle (in the front view) and lowering it more starts to make the roof shadows too big and also adds too much vray sky color into the mix, so... Regarding depth of field. I never use it for this type of image. You never see it in real estate photography , which is essentially what this is. It is cool but best used sparingly and for close up detail type shots IMO, I respect you may feel otherwise. the client is very happy.

Bobby - thanks for weighing in. Most of the materials - asphalt, concrete, stucco, roof tiles are just recently purchased (for this job) from poliigon. The grass, shrubs and trees are all from the Forest Pro 3D garden and the included FP library. (except for the privacy screen of Cyprus trees that were requested at the 11.75 hour and I got from cdtrader.)

mark f.
            openrangeimaging.com

Comment

Working...
            X