Mixed Use Exterior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed Use Exterior

A month ago I was contacted about this project. Conceptual design was to be provided based on allowable land use code. They wanted a rendering to show prospective buyers what development might be possible.

Thursday morning at 10:00 I got a call from the architect asking if he sends a couple of sketches can I have something for Sat meeting with client? 7:30 PM on Friday (19 hours billed with 5.5 of that at 1.5x rate) I provided the rendering below. That included shooting the site photograph on that Thursday which looks to be the last sunny day for next 5 days.

It's an infill project in the commercial core of a national historic landmark district. That little house is historic and has to be restored/saved.

I included the original site photo that I tweaked and also the sketches I worked from. The architect has indicated he wants to revise the design so probably some updates to come.
    Attached Files
    mark f.
    openrangeimaging.com

Max 2023.3.4 | Vray 6 update 2 | Win 10

Core i7 6950 | GeForce RTX 2060 | 64 G RAM

Nice work, Mark!

Comment

thanks for checking it out and for your positive reply. I don't like working under that kind of deadline but glad it was a success.
      mark f.
      openrangeimaging.com

Comment

Architects are hands down the most miserable people to work with in the entire universe. True story. The end.

Comment

I know your pain.
          Last edited by OPEN_RANGE; 13-02-2021, 04:14 PM.
          mark f.
          openrangeimaging.com

Comment

Yes, you did great!

I always turn these down. Typically, everything is rushed and they are rarely successful. Their deadlines are usually fictitious, too. I would kill myself to make their rushed mess work by their deadline. Their deadline would magically be moved out a week, conveniently to allow them to make 100's of changes. No thank you! I am glad it worked out for you.
            Bobby Parker
            www.bobby-parker.com
            e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
            phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
            • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
            • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
            • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Thanks for commenting Bobby. I have had the same experience as you describe and almost always say nope. I have a long history with this guy and also with the realtor. They will pay a premium but still, it’s unnecessarily (as you correctly point out) unpleasant to set yourself on fire to be accommodating. Probably won’t agree to such an immediate turn around type arrangement again....I hope.
              mark f.
              openrangeimaging.com

Comment

I literally just dealt with one. When he initially emailed he was in a panic and needed things NOW! (red flag #1). I said no and he went away, but he returned with a more realistic deadline a few weeks later. He sent me his drawings and they kept changing (red flag #2) and I told him that when he gets his final documents ready, to let me know and I'll reschedule. At that point, everything was in grayscale, both interior, and exterior. He demanded that I worked on the front while he fixes the back and the interior; he needed to get it listed (red flag #3). I said no, and when he had updated the final drawings to send them over to me. I stopped hearing from him for a month and he responded to none of my follow-up emails (red flag #4). Today he emailed me and said that his project has been placed on hold and he wanted a refund. Refund? The deposit covers the grayscale and the balance covers the colors, this scenario is precisely why I structure payments this way. Low-resolution proofs, locked down so you can't download, and final high-resolution when you pay your balance.

Another rule I have is not to email after hours. His email came in last night at about 9 PM (red flag #5) and I read it this morning. Had I read it last night it would have upset me and ruined my evening. I also didn't respond right away because that response would have been different than how I did respond, a couple of hours later . Some people lack boundaries or think that they are entitled.

I am glad your project was successful.
                Bobby Parker
                www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

well played!
                  mark f.
                  openrangeimaging.com

Comment

A refund ....for being a complete idiot. What a fantastic idea. Completely rational request.
                    https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

I don't want to highjack this, but another story. I did a large project for a developer a month+ ago. He was a difficult client, but I managed. Yesterday I got an email from the architect telling me to be careful because the developer has stiffed him for $50,000, and I'll be lucky to get a dime for the work I did. I told him that I don't start without a deposit, and I don't release finals without the balance paid; I got everything I was owed. I guess I schooled the architect, who are notoriously lousy business people. The architect sent me online articles that came out and highlighted the developer as one of the lawyers and judges allowed to keep his license after a severe felony conviction. This guy launched over 30 or 40 websites with his name or similar names to make it look like there are many people with his name to obscure his record.

Always get a deposit and don't release anything until paid! This guy did reach out to me a couple of weeks ago with changes and approved the quote. He never sent the deposit, I never started, and I never heard from him.
                      Last edited by glorybound; 22-02-2021, 07:36 PM.
                      Bobby Parker
                      www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

great work!
                        Best regards,
                        Jackie Teh
                        --

3ds max design 2023, V-Ray 6, Update 2.1 [6.20.07 build 32575]
                        AMD Threadripper 1950X @3.40 GHz | 64GB RAM | Nvidia RTX 3070 ti
                        Email: info@sporadicstudio.com
                        YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/SporadicStudio

Comment

Working...
                        X