Drone Photo Rendering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drone Photo Rendering

My first time shooting with my own drone. DJI Mini 3 Pro. Kind of nerve wracking, I shot this the day after I got the drone. So minimal practice and zero previous experience. When I went to the site a squall was moving thru. The mountains were totally obscured and wind gusts to 30 mph were blowing dirt around. I hung out for a while, the squall passed and I got this shot. I was standing with the controler @ 75' to the right of the center right edge of the photo. I included the backplate photo for reference.

The house is at a ski resort and that is a ski run coming down in the upper left. The mountain beyond is also part of the ski resort.

Click image for larger version  Name:	exterior01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	517.2 KB ID:	1180083

Click image for larger version  Name:	backplate01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	425.9 KB ID:	1180082
    Last edited by OPEN_RANGE; 05-05-2023, 10:33 AM.
    mark f.
    openrangeimaging.com

Max 2023.3.4 | Vray 6 update 2 | Win 10

Core i7 6950 | GeForce RTX 2060 | 64 G RAM

I would do one of two things, either match the render to the plate or cc the plate to match the raw render, then tweak it overall.
    Right now I think there's quite a mismatch, making the rendered elements stand out too much
    https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

Thank you fixeighted! Agree it stands out too much. Here is another version. I had a LUT applied to the overall image, rendering+backplate, in pshop. I had the opacity of the LUT layer turned down to 33% because it darkened the image too much. This version has the LUT at 100% and then I added an exposure layer to brighten it back up.

I had an understanding that an LUT is used to re-map all the colors and shift the entire image towards whatever effect a given LUT provides? Thereby sort of unifying colors?

The elements of the backplate are mainly snow and trees. The rendered elements are snow, trees and building. I think the snow and trees are reasonably OK? The vertical wood siding on the house is what seems to stand out the most to me. I am close to the provided sample image for the siding but I could tone it down some before showing this to the client.

Do you think the update below is improved by the LUT and any other specifics you care to give are much appreciated as always. Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	exterior05.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	500.3 KB
ID:	1180106

Last edited by OPEN_RANGE; 05-05-2023, 02:25 PM.
      mark f.
      openrangeimaging.com

Comment

Trees and snow seem ok. The house still looks cg to me. Not sure what needs to be done to blend into the photo more better. It should look like a new house vs older weathered one but….
        Last edited by OPEN_RANGE; 05-05-2023, 05:40 PM.
        mark f.
        openrangeimaging.com

Comment

One thing I used to do is an average blur on the backplate and overlay it on my image, with a low opacity. If the average of the back pate is a light gray, then it'll put a nice light gray cast over my image, allowing it to blend more. Also, try to match the blur and noise of the back plate.

How was your first flight? No incidents or close calls?
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com
          e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
          phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
          • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
          • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Thanks Bobby. I will try to replicate that process you describe and see if it helps. Going to give this one more attempt to make better and then I think I have to move on.

First drone flight was nerve wracking but went well. No close calls. See my description of conditions and etc in top most post above. Drone was necessary for this.
            mark f.
            openrangeimaging.com

Comment

Here is an update. Hopefully this is the final, but I still have to send it to the client and get sign off. Next is an interior rendering showing the upper level living space and view of mountains thru windows.

Click image for larger version

Name:	exterior06.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	532.1 KB
ID:	1180131
              mark f.
              openrangeimaging.com

Comment

Working...
              X