Hillside House(s) part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hillside House(s) part 2

This is a second part of a previous project. Previously the house to the right with the white siding was the focus. I made a twilight exterior and an interior rendering.
    https://forums.chaos.com/forum/chaos...and-narrow-lot

The client has architects plans and building approvals for both houses. Originally he was trying to sell the lot with the approved plan for the house with the white siding. Then he would build the house shown here with the barnwood siding for himself. Now he wants to sell both lots with approved plans.

The approved plans are good for 3 years. In this location there are 4 new houses in a row approved with 1 underway. Built into a very steep hillside they have insane basements/foundations with like 30' high back walls. Expensive rock fall mitigation fencing is put in behind the houses. The long time chair of the P&Z lives next door to the right. Because of these excessive foundations the town put a moratorium on hillside building approvals while they amended the land use code. Apparently now these houses would not be allowed to have such extreme basements and would loose @ 1,500 sq ft. So, the existing approved plans have some value for sure.

I included the back plate photos. The two houses I am rendering are just to the left of the foundation shown. They are to be built on narrow lots between the foundation shown and the green construction fencing (one lot has the old shed on it to be demoed) The renderings included the house that's going to be on that foundation but I screened it with vegetation and etc since it's for a separate owner and not the subject of these renderings. Same architect for the 3 houses.

Click image for larger version

Name:	southwest01.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	774.2 KB
ID:	1183333

Name:	IMG_3577.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	377.2 KB
ID:	1183334

Name:	southeast01.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	828.2 KB
ID:	1183332

Name:	IMG_3515.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	510.7 KB
ID:	1183335

Attached Files
    mark f.
    openrangeimaging.com

Max 2023.3.4 | Vray 6 update 2 | Win 10

Core i7 6950 | GeForce RTX 2060 | 64 G RAM

Oh boy, with all that open space, why are they building such narrow structures? Other than making more money, I am sure. I am surprised the town approved it; it sets precedence. You are getting pretty good at matching the photos... good job!
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Thanks for your comments Bobby. Thanks to your and others comments and critique my matching the photos skill has improved a bit.

Standard town lots are 25'w x 117.5'd. Platted in the late 1860's. This cannot be changed. A few years back it was decided and enacted to not allow anyone to combine lots. That was to stop people from building too big of a house. The entire town is a National Historic Landmark District and trying to maintain appropriate mass and scale is important.

Some creative license used in matching the photos.
      mark f.
      openrangeimaging.com

Comment

Here is the interior rendering.

I may be updating the exteriors shown above. They are thinking of having me add the house to the left. It has not been built yet but will occupy that open space and they are concerned that it should be shown. Need to get the revit model from a different architect for that. Also they are now considering making the exteriors dusk/twilight.

All comments and critique are welcome as always.

Name:	living01.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	370.4 KB
ID:	1183577
        Last edited by OPEN_RANGE; 14-06-2023, 03:31 PM.
        mark f.
        openrangeimaging.com

Comment

Since the wooden window frames are now so close to the camera, I would do a quick UV unwrap to address the direction of the wood grain.
          It's hard for me to explain in english, so I uploaded a screenshot of what I mean.

May I ask what kind of wood your window frames are?
          Attached Files
          Last edited by AEBI_VINCENT; 19-06-2023, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Hi and thanks for your comments! I understand exactly what you mean. Having the wood grain oriented correctly on horizontal and vertical elements is a must do for me. I separated the H and V window elements and then mapped them independently to achieve that. Kind of hard to tell with the wood texture being used.

The wood texture is the same as the wood in the ceiling at left. That was the direction from the clieNt. “Make the windows a natural wood like the wood in the ceiling”. It’s unlikely they will get windows made with wood like that. Will almost certainly be more straight grained and without knots. The client may or may not be aware of that but does not care a out that for the purposes of this rendering.

Your point is well taken and if I was to do this again I would hopefully take the time to use a map with a more straight, clear, grain and get the color tone of that to be enough representative of the ceiling for the client to accept. I took the easier way and just used part of the same map I used for the ceiling so it matched for the clients eye.
            mark f.
            openrangeimaging.com

Comment

Great, in that case I totally get what you were doing. It all comes down to what the client wishes, as usual.

Comment

Working...
              X