No announcement yet.

Something I'm working on...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also like the VRayLight idea, but on the other hand this will make it more difficult to rework older scenes that already use the VRayLightMtl material...

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vance3d View Post
      I think it should be part of the vray light too. Does it require GI to be active to emit light?

V Miller
      Nope, it will work without GI too. However the calculations are more efficient with GI, especially if the light surface is close to other objects - in this case, the calculations will be split between the GI and the direct lighting in an optimal way (similar to how this is already done for the VRayLight).

Best regards,
      Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
        Yes, two reasons - time and resources... both are limited

Best regards,
        Vlado
        Aren't they always! I'd go for the vray light option then.
        www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

very cool, if we have to choose one I'd prefer it to be part of the vraylight, mainly for class reasons
          Eric Boer
          Dev

Comment

Create a modifierer (which works only on vraylights) which can attach an instance of one or more Objects to a vray light setup.

Advantages:
            Simple UI (Attach Objects, disable geometry for rendering, lightemiting edges or vertices or faces ..)
            You can work normal on the geometry which later will be a light or skyportal
            You can use IES vraylights for any geometry (splines/faces/edges/vertices)
            You can have all options of the vraylight and not only materialsettings (IES lights are possible)
            You can work with UVM map modifier for the light
            You can use objects like glas as a skyportal without placing a light object AND an Object which should be rendered.
            Not another vray material.. :-/

Disadvantages:
            You have to place a VraylightOBJECT which do nothing to scenelighting.
            Light with a Material is much easier to setup

anyway ..good idea! (it was time ..right?)
            www.cgtechniques.com | http://www.hdrlabs.com - home of hdri knowledge

Comment

omg geometry lighting ))) ooohoooo ...been waiting for this for so long

BIG THANKS Vlado!!!

Best regards
              Martin
              http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                I also like the VRayLight idea, but on the other hand this will make it more difficult to rework older scenes that already use the VRayLightMtl material...
                Best regards,
                Vlado
                From my point of view I wouldn't worry much about legacy issues. Not many pople frequently go to old scenes.
                On the other hand, for a light of potentially very complex shape, lighting calculations would be time consuming and in that case I'd go for VrayLight option. That would enable exclusion/inclusion of objects and would affect render time and quality of render.

Zoran

Comment

A better UI for the VRayLight shader (color temp, other methods to specify energy, etc... you know) and thats all we need imo. So I vote for that too. Best one to go with the standalone too, since it's a more general approach.

By the way whenever you post something about a cornell box, things get interesting here. Great job there!

Best regards,
                  A.
                  credit for avatar goes here

Comment

Add more options to the vray light material is what i would prefer. I can understand those saying it would be better to keep lighting and objects separate though

I already use vralightmtl in almost every scene so will be good to make a simple adjustement to old scenes rather than learn a new method for doing the same thing.

I did a bar recently lit entirely from vralightmtl and these options would have been perfect for that job. I had to REALLY play with various rendering settings to get the scene to look ok. Ideally I would want to keep my standard interior settings and then just adjust the vralightmtl

Comment

You can vote for your preferred place for the UI here:

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...ad.php?t=43087

Right now I am leaning towards the VRayLight itself, with possibly some very simplified UI in VRayLightMtl.

Best regards,
                      Vlado

Comment

vote for that as well :
                        (*) The VRayLight itself (as a new light type where you can attach a mesh source);

Thanks Vlado, that's a huge change that will very very useful!
                        3LP Team

Comment

I have a question about this: Now that we are going to be able to have object that illuminate scenes, I think people will want to see them more often. Currently, and in the renders you posted, the edges of the light objects (Vray Lights too) don't get anti-aliased. I understand why this is but I want to know if you have any strategy for fixing this?

It seem like now is going to be the time since I can guaranty that you will be seeing more and more lights in the actual renders.
                          Galen Beals
                          Animator/Technical Director
                          Portland, Oregon

Comment

Clamp output + Sub-pixel mapping
                            http://www.ylilammi.com/

Comment

Please implement an include/exclude option for this type of light... That would be great.
                              https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Originally posted by kosso_olli View Post
                                Please implement an include/exclude option for this type of light... That would be great.
                                Since it is an option in VRayLight, it supports all the relevant options for it (include/exclude, light portal, invisibility, affect diffuse/specular/reflections etc).

Best regards,
                                Vlado

Comment

Working...
                                X