Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 3LP View Post
    Yes it's pretty cool

Don't know for octane VS RT, but LC helps a lot! And I can't wait to have IR on GPU as that's gonna be a even bigger game changer!
    Indeed, but I get the impression from some of Vlado's post that he is more keen on optimizing BF than IR moving forward. But, yes, I saw that he will eventually do some work on it.

Originally posted by 3LP View Post

If you have a scene that we can convert to octane, I'll be happy to bench them out and see how they compare to each other.

Stan
    I don't, right now I just do some testing on some Evermotion archinterior scenes and wonder out loud how fast Vray GPU RT is compared to Octane.

Comment

• Originally posted by WilleViz View Post
      I don't, right now I just do some testing on some Evermotion archinterior scenes and wonder out loud how fast Vray GPU RT is compared to Octane.
      Well, the only way to find out would be to test it out... the only thing to keep in mind is to use actual path tracing in Octane, and not direct lighting kernel...

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

• Vray is faster than Octane, bought Octane, used it for six months, gave up on it. couldn't finish one project with it. I had some scenes where vray would clean the scene in half the time. Octanes material converter never worked, always screwed up 90% of the materials and I had to go through each one by one to fix them. And when you need support they are non existent, only other forum members ever replied to my questions. Support is one of the most complained about issues with Octane. I also owned Thea render, fast, support was good, there material system and preview was nice, (love the way you can preview materials) but crashed way to much to use for production.

Comment

• Thanks for that insight info!

I think the main thing we need to get from other render engine and that most people complain about is the material preview.
          Corona and thea render have some RT render for previews and it makes a huge difference compared to max one

We need something similar

Stan
          3LP Team

Comment

• Originally posted by Donfarese View Post
            Vray is faster than Octane, bought Octane, used it for six months, gave up on it. couldn't finish one project with it. I had some scenes where vray would clean the scene in half the time. Octanes material converter never worked, always screwed up 90% of the materials and I had to go through each one by one to fix them. And when you need support they are non existent, only other forum members ever replied to my questions. Support is one of the most complained about issues with Octane. I also owned Thea render, fast, support was good, there material system and preview was nice, (love the way you can preview materials) but crashed way to much to use for production.
            Thanks for the feedback!

And +1 on having fast preview on the materials.

Comment

• Is the GTX580 still the fastest? This seems like an old thread and the GTX580 has a very nice price tag.
              Bobby Parker
              www.bobby-parker.com
              e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
              phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
              • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
              • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
              • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

• Originally posted by glorybound View Post
                Is the GTX580 still the fastest? This seems like an old thread and the GTX580 has a very nice price tag.
                I don't think so, it has been outperformed by 7x by a good margin.

I look carefully at it before investing in the GTX780, but the heat and noise kept me away.

Comment

• the GTX780 is $335 on Ebay. Not a lot of RAM.
                  Bobby Parker
                  www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                  • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

• Best performance/money is currently GTX970 in my opinion. It's not much more powerful than 780, but has more RAM and lower TDP, which means in simplification that if you render on it for full day it uses around 2kWh less electricity. And that's around 60-70 Euros less yearly assuming 50% load time.

Best,
                    @wyszolmirski | Dabarti | FB | BE

Comment

• Well, that's the one I have. I was troubleshooting some 4K issues and it was mentioned that my card wasn't good enough.
                      Bobby Parker
                      www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Well, that's the one I have. I was troubleshooting some 4K issues and it was mentioned that my card wasn't good enough.
                        What were the issues ? I'm using one of those cards in our studio for 4K TV.
                        @wyszolmirski | Dabarti | FB | BE

Comment

• In 3DS MAX, I get a terrible lag, unless I scale to 200% using Windows Scaling. NVIDIA says that 3DS MAX isn't 4k compliant, so there is nothing they can do.
                          Bobby Parker
                          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

In 3DS MAX, I get a terrible lag, unless I scale to 200% using Windows Scaling. NVIDIA says that 3DS MAX isn't 4k compliant, so there is nothing they can do.
                            I am using a AMD Firepro for my display and A GTX for compute on a 32 inch 4k monitor, I have no issues at all.

Comment

• So, you have two cards? What AMD Firepro do you have? Some of those are pretty beefy.
                              Bobby Parker
                              www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

So, you have two cards? What AMD Firepro do you have? Some of those are pretty beefy.
                                I don't have a really beefy one, just a Firepro W7000. But 3dsmax runs great at 4k. Do you get lag only when you move objects or is it anything you do in max. Also do you have a Video card software running for overclocking or fan settings, like EVGA precision X or something?

Comment

Working...
                                X