New workstation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Muhammed,

So far I still got zero quotations. I'm putting the purchase on hold.

I'm located in Finland 25 km away from Russian border (can see there in my everyday walking). If we talk about localization, I would prefer English OS and a Finnish keyboard. I bought once a Silicon Graphics workstation from Sweden without any problems; they have similar keyboard. Is there anything else I should know about localization?

Comment

A little update,

I still haven't receive any suggestions or quotations for new PC. It seems I'm working to foreseeable future with my current, soon to be 7 years old computer. I think most of the problems with the current workstation are related to having not enough memory (96 GB at the moment). I don't want to buy more for the old workstation, because I'm afraid they aren't compatible with the next workstation.

Comment

A little update. I still haven't receive any quotations so far. I made latest requests about a month ago. It seems it's not easy to buy a workstation in this periphery. Maybe I'm asking at the wrong stores.

Comment

So, you have been trying to buy a workstation for a year, but you can't get anyone to sell you one? I am not sure I understand? Are you wanting parts that are no longer available? Are you wanting configurations that are not typical? Most of these big box stores sell off-the-shelf, with a few options, so it makes sense that if you are requesting something not offered, they turn you away.
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com
          e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
          phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
          • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
          • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I have HP Z-series workstations at the moment and I will continue using the old ones as my rendering servers. So for me it's the compatibility reasons to look for new one amongst the same series. Most parts of the current workstation are compatible with the latest HP workstations. However I think RAM has been updated from DDR4 to DDR5. So I can't utilize those with the new workstation.

Keeping that In mind I'm looking for single processor HP Z6 workstation with option for second CPU. The new workstation has to be at least as fast as the old one with two CPUs. Then I could double the speed later when I have the money, but I'm not going to buy a workstation slower than the current one. I have got few suggestions and they are either slower or non scalable. The workstation has to score more than 10 000 V-Ray benchmarks with single scalable processor configuration. The price without GPU should be around 5 000 € + VAT.

I think my conditions are reasonable. The available sortiment might be more narrow here.

Comment

I have renewed my request to some HP resellers. Actually one of them answered. They told that they have not received any answers from their distributors concerning my inquiry, I don't know how to buy a new workstation if the stores have nothing to sell.

Maybe I should consider another brand. I changed from SGI to HP exactly 20 years ago and has been loyal HP customer ever since.

Comment

Working...
              X