Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

old GPUs.. could they be causing me problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old GPUs.. could they be causing me problems?

ive always worked on the assumption that any halfway decent gpu isnt going to have much trouble driving the viewports in 3dsmax... since im not really using gpu rendering very much, ive neglected upgrading my gpu(s) for ages, they even came over to my new machine when i built it.

i currently have a nice chunky 3990 workstation with 128gb ram, but for the display i have a pair of "antique" custom watercooled maxwell titanX (12GB) they are still not "bad" cards as such, and together they tend to render faster than my 64 core cpu on compatible scenes...

however ive noticed some issues on a current job, trying to work with some very dense meshes.

trying to window select vertices in the edit poly modifier on a 10+ million poly model, i can see the "selected vertices" count change in the edit poly modifier almost instantly, but i still have to wait 10 -20 seconds for the selection to appear in the viewport and max to come back to life.

i always assumed this was just max being max.... however the thought came to me... what if its my old gpu's bottlenecking things? what if all the delays and lags i have when working are just my gpu?! (wishful thinking i expect)

I just tried selecting vertices on a 6 000 000 polygon plane. With a single RTX 3080Ti I have roughly the same performance. So afaik your cards aren't really the problem. I just tried to select vertices in blender on a heavily subdivided monkey head (8 000 000 polygons) and the performance is a lot better, although still somewhat slow, but a lot more responsive than Max. So yeah badly optimized 3ds Max is probably the culprit.
    A.

---------------------
    www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

yeah i thought that was probably the case..... strangely i have a newer, similar scene and i have much better performance.... who knows what goes on in the rats nest of coding we call max.

Comment

Working...
      X