Advice needed to replace GTX780

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed to replace GTX780

I have a dual GTX780 setup (6GB each) but one of the cards is throwing an error and needs to be replaced. What might be a decent card to replace it with that won't break the bank? I do not do any RT work at this point, but I do utilize the interactive frame buffer. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.
    David Anderson
    www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
    Windows 10 Pro
    3ds Max 2023.3 Update
    V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
    Puget Systems
    TRX40 EATX
    AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core 3.69GHz
    2X NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
    128GB RAM

You can have a look at our Benchmark GPU result page and compare your card performance to others http://benchmark.chaosgroup.com/gpu . Then if you like a card you can check for prices.
    Zdravko Keremidchiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Where a benchmark may say "Genuine Intel(R) CPU 0000 @ 2.20GHz x28, GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6144MB x4", what does the "x4" mean at the end? That it's running 4 cards?
      David Anderson
      www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
      Windows 10 Pro
      3ds Max 2023.3 Update
      V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
      Puget Systems
      TRX40 EATX
      AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core 3.69GHz
      2X NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
      128GB RAM

Comment

Yes.
        If you like the GTX series, 1070 is good price/performance ratio. 1080ti is the GTX top performer.
        Refererence design (blower style, single turbine) GPUs are good if you plan to have multiple GPUs. If you plan to have just one, you might want some third party one with 2 or 3 fans.

Best,
        Blago.
        V-Ray fan.
        Looking busy around GPUs ...
        RTX ON

Comment

I currently run 2 780TI GPU's and I recently ran the Vray benchmark with them - I did this as I have a bunch of 1070 GPU's I want to use in my rig. What I found is that the 1070 is only very, very slightly faster than a 780ti for Vray RT / GPU rendering. To that end - I would try and step up to the 1080 cards is you are coming from a 780.

Comment

Originally posted by ripe View Post
            I currently run 2 780TI GPU's and I recently ran the Vray benchmark with them - I did this as I have a bunch of 1070 GPU's I want to use in my rig. What I found is that the 1070 is only very, very slightly faster than a 780ti for Vray RT / GPU rendering. To that end - I would try and step up to the 1080 cards is you are coming from a 780.
            Agree, maybe 1080ti asweel as Blago also recomends. To bad that his 780 is failing, a really good card for viewport with its performence. I have a 780ti "FE" as viewport myself which is still doing good. But yes the performence of a 780 furthermore a 780ti is great. To bad GPU's are that expensive now i bought a new 1080ti for 700 euros 8 months ago which is hard to find now.

Yes agree that for a multiple card choose Founders Edition cards you never know when you want to start with GPU rendering.

Comment

Working...
            X