Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Switching careers advice (after 20 years in archviz) to movie magic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching careers advice (after 20 years in archviz) to movie magic?

So hi guys,
    maybe it's a midlife crisis or just burnout but I really want to do something else. Like the title says I've been doing archviz in MAX/vray for 20 years now. Recently I've been to London and did the Harry Potter tour at Warner Bros and it triggered my college dream of being a movie special effects guy. Was wandering if anyone here had such an endeavor of changing careers, and has any advice for me? My knowledge of 3D is pretty specialized for archviz but I believe (if I'm not fooling myself) I would need a few months tops to change gear.

Gaming industry also comes to mind of course but I would need something certain since it took years to build my client base and it feels very risky to leave it all behind.

Thanks in advance
    www.hrvojedesign.com

Not all 3d is created equal. I had similar experience, I mostly work in film and television, but had a chance to work on motion graphics, animation of logos and such. Its still 3d, but I hated it, I couldn't do it, though it uses similar methods, the tricks and techniques are different, the timelines are different etc etc. I like the vfx industry in the way that is never boring and always a challenge. With that said though, its going to be completely opposite of what you are used to, I doubt it will be a few month, more like a few years before you fully transition. I would suggest to work in a good team like environment where you can learn from professionals, it will accelerate your transition.
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Hi Dmitry,
      I see what you mean. I'll try to get a contact with some studio, hopefully will be able to, and see with them what are my options. Was thinking of reposting this with some other forums here if that's ok. Mods please delete if not allowed.
      www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

Hi, a friend of mine switched from Automotive Alias digital modeling to VFX. It took him some time, he learned a lot of different softwares from the VFX industry and took a lot of courses.
        When he told me what his plans were, I told him that it would be difficult to enter the VFX industry and to compete with all the young guys being trained at the VFX schools.
        But he made it and is now working at some studios. The chance you might have is that it is more and more possible to work remotely as studios are allowing it.
        You should definitely ask some studios and start to create a portfolio that is relevant for the VFX. You will have to learn the pipelines of the different studios and probably start by doing "not so interesting stuff".
        www.mirage-cg.com

Comment

I went from the film industry - 4 years of it, to arch vis and now in the aerospace industry so a reverse of what you want to do and personally I couldn't be happier.

Doing VFX for a feature film for the first time was quite epic and seeing your name in the movie credits is one hell of a feeling. However, the work life balance and constant grind just wasnt worth it. In the end, its just another project that people may or may not like. I worked on Alien Covenant, Tarzan, Moguli, Geostorm and King Arthur legend of the sword. In todays age, I wouldnt go back but my advice is to try and see for yourself! The skills are interchangeable and as long as you have a good attitude and portfolio you shouldnt have any issues getting in the door.

Comment

I think you would benefit the most into pre production not post VFX work, it’s a lot of fun work with an art department team designing the film from scratch with the Director, you’ll still be able to use your architectural skills and knowledge plus your assignments will change throughout the production, you won’t have time to get bored, from sci fi sets to medieval castles and a variety of time periods that might come by. You might even travel to some interesting locations when the shooting starts and get more money…. Always the best part. My picture background is New Zealand , good times there for Rings of Power.
            Last edited by damaggio; 24-08-2022, 10:55 AM.
            https://www.artstation.com/damaggio

Comment

Good luck! Know your worth and stand your ground. Maybe your architectural background can be an asset in special effects. I don't know of a movie that a house or building that isn't blown up .
              Bobby Parker
              www.bobby-parker.com
              e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
              phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
              • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
              • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
              • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Been running a boutique VFX shop for 20 years of VFX and over 10 more years doing print work before that.

Fun? Yes.
                Rewarding? Yes.
                Stress? Yes.
                Work-life balance? None.

Maybe a bigger shop where you can easily be replaced by other team members and you can stop working at a set time would be OK.

Comment

Working...
                X