Proof Mark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proof Mark

Last year I had a client run with about a $2000 balance. He was overseas, so I really didn't have any recourse, so I had to let it go. This month I had another guy run, this time a fellow Minnesotan (I am not letting this creep go). It really angers me, the kind of people who are so entitled and don't think they have to pay their bills. It isn't like I now decide who I am going to screw over to compensate for the loss. I am on the fence on having a proof watermark across my proofs. For one, it tells my clients that I don't trust them and two, it doesn't do any favors for the image. I am sure I'll get used to it. How do you guys handle it? Proof or no proof?

I have been putting my logo on the bottom right of my color proofs and my contract has always said that it stays until the final balance is due. I have been placing it there for new clients and it has worked out. The problem there is, some of my clients don't tell their client that they don't do their renderings in-house, so that makes it difficult. I have worked for some pretty high profile architects and they all had proof watermarks across their drawings. It also helps to keep things from getting out in the wild, with your name on it, things that were never meant to see the light of day.

Here is one I just posted for review.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Sorry to hear you had this happen but I guess its part of the business. There is always going to be that type of client. I think watermark is a great way to go, if they don't like it - either pay full amount up front, or don't work with them is my opinion.
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

This last guy took a long time to get me his deposit with a lot of the check is in the mail promises. He kept making changes that deviated from his original drawings, which were napkin sketches. I emailed him the final invoice, which is a form letter I send saying that the logo will be removed once the final payment is received. His reply was weird. I'll have to look back to see why I thought it was weird, but I remember thinking something was off. it was something like, "sure, I'll get that to you right away" with a winking smiley face or something. A website for none paying jerks would be good, so we can run a clients name through it before we take the client on.
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I thought you ran a policy of deposits before work ?

That's how I deal with things, either 50% upfront, or in some cases, 100% upfront (always 100% when it's overseas).

In fact, thinking about it, it was *you* who got me into this way of working !
        Jez

------------------------------------
        3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
        Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
        ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

Comment

Originally posted by JezUK View Post
          I thought you ran a policy of deposits before work ?

That's how I deal with things, either 50% upfront, or in some cases, 100% upfront (always 100% when it's overseas).

In fact, thinking about it, it was *you* who got me into this way of working !
          Yes, always 50% upfront before I even schedule it. I have people accept my quote, sign my contract, but skip the deposit thinking I'll schedule them. They'll email asking about progress and I'll simply tell them that I have not received their deposit. If they snail mail it, that is their prerogative; I give them easy ways to pay online.
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Working...
          X