Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Megascans assets now no longer usable if you don't renew your sub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Megascans assets now no longer usable if you don't renew your sub?

Bit of a rant, but a prime example of why I resent the 'software as a service' model. They've apparently changed their formerly free Bridge software to no longer work without a sub, meaning you can no longer access your old assets you'd bought from them.
    I'm sure "we may pull the rug out from under you any time we like" was probably in the T&Cs but that doesn't make it any more acceptable.
    I'm now going through the hassle of rolling back to an older version of the software.

Wonderful way to build goodwill and ensure 'part time' customers such as myself become 'never again' customers.

And you have to have an active sub to actually spend your points. I had saved up a bunch and decided to spend them long after my sub had expired...but nope.
    James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
    Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

Originally posted by Pixelcon View Post
      And you have to have an active sub to actually spend your points. I had saved up a bunch and decided to spend them long after my sub had expired...but nope.
      I *believe* you can could use any unspent points if you subscribe again, unless they've changed that as well.

Comment

Points won't expire. All of my points were waiting for me when I recently rejoined. I've since left again and the part about Bridge not working without a subscription is definitely a sore point. Most likely, I won't re-sub.
        Steve Burke
        www.burkestudios.com

Comment

Yes you can use them when you resub, but having to re-sub to spend points I already own is a pain...
          James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
          Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

Yup. Software as service is evil. The day all software goes to this horrible model is the day I retire and paint in acrylics (which I can actually own outright).

- Neil

Comment

Ha ha. Neil, I'm sure they will soon find a way to tax you on that too.
              Gavin Jeoffreys
              Freelance 3D Generalist

Comment

Originally posted by Raven View Post
                Ha ha. Neil, I'm sure they will soon find a way to tax you on that too.
                What about nano-machines in the paint that cause your work to smudge if you don't renew your paint license?

Comment

Working...
                X