Windows 10 Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 Speed

Any must do's to speed up Windows? Do you turn off all the bells and whistles? Change Virtual Memory? Turn off virus software? Disables search indexing?I know power management is a big one.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Yeah, go back to Windows 7

Comment

Other than changing the power management to performance, I don't make any other changes and all is good.

We were just updating a few workstations at the office and I thought I would do a test. Same computer, Fresh Window 7 x64 installation vs Fresh Windows 10 x64 installation. Basically install 3DS Max 2019, VRayNext, Forest Pro, RailClone Pro and PhoenixFD. (This is what my test file required).

My results were pretty lack luster, while the Windows 10 installation did provide better performance numbers, it wasn't by a huge margin. With the main test file, I saw about 4.5% speed improvements in Windows 10.

I also tried opening a couple of older files and the results were within +/- 1.5% of the result above. Windows 10 always comes out on top in how I set it up. GPU times varied quite a bit, but that's due to not really having a good GPU only file setup for test purposes...as my tests were all CPU based due to the insanely large file sizes.

So in our office, with our hardware, the users all prefer Windows 10. The rest is just cleaning out all the clutter and removing the bloatware. Once I have a machine cleaned and setup the way I like, I just clone the drive and deploy it to the other machines with little effort. If a user starts to have problems, I don't even bother troubleshooting and just wipe the OS and deploy the image again and all works as it should in less than 20 min.
      Troy Buckley | Technical Art Director
      Midwest Studios

Comment

Back in the day, I used to have slide out drives. I did the same, built a machine and just pulled out and slide in a new drive. All the hardware was exactly the same, so it worked flawlessly.
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

It's been a life saver! Some of the Windows 10 updates could wreak havoc on our machines....so it's a must do for me now. Fresh setup, get everything setup and working correctly, then create the image and you are good to go!
          Midwest Studios

Comment

I recently ran DELLS optimizer and it ruined things. Turned off multithreading and stuff. This got me thinking about what is worth turning off/on.
            Bobby Parker
            www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Yeah, I build all of our workstations, so I don't have to worry about all the "stuff" the different manufacturers do to the machines or how they lock down many settings from the BIOS. The first thing I do when getting a machine from Dell, Acer, HP, Lenovo, etc, is to format the HDD and reinstall a fresh copy of windows WITHOUT all the bloatware and things are usually much better.
              Midwest Studios

Comment

Working...
              X