Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any1 know how to use linked smart object as mask in PS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any1 know how to use linked smart object as mask in PS?

Hi guys

Google is failing me, or it just can not be done. Does anybody know how to use a linked smart object as a mask in PS? I saw some workarounds where you mess with the layer blending options and sometimes even stick it in a group, but that doesnt seem to work well on precise aphas. mattes, etc.

Any ideas?
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

It is feasable, but Google was not that much help indeed
    It is the best alphas and mates, super precise, and soooo much faster that regular masks

You have a folder ( a group) that has propreties,
    You have the smart object mask layer, in the group, with properties as well.

Just make sure that your corrections layers, (levels, curves) are below, in the very same folder.
    See the image of the structure

Hope it helps

(forgot to say that the image shows the filtering of the red pass of a RGB image)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by thablanch; 05-10-2018, 09:34 AM.
    Alain Blanchette
    www.pixistudio.com

Comment

this is the method I was saying I dont want to use since its not working very well for me.
      A simple soft white brush dropped onto a black background, made into a linked smart object and using the group/blend trick, creates heavy jagged edges
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

Are you using Photoshop CC or higher ?
        This method was not working fine in previous versions..
        Alain Blanchette
        www.pixistudio.com

Comment

Did a small template, You could try this. Works fine over here, no jagged edges.
          Did it on a black and white smart object mask

https://we.tl/t-isU22XhQKB

Alain Blanchette
          www.pixistudio.com

Comment

Get Affinity Photo and forget smart objects
            show me the money!!

Comment

https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...s-in-photoshop

maybe something wrong in photoshop color settings?
              Marcin Piotrowski
              youtube

Comment

I have both the latest PS CC version and Affinity Photo.
                For this project it is a "client" requirement to use PS

Thanks Alain I'll take a look at your file when I get a free moment!
                Kind Regards,
                Morne

Comment

Thanks Alain, your file worked. Dont know what I was doing before, but it was pretty muich the same and it didnt work, but it does now. But on 6K 32 bit images, PS is dog slow!

flino2004 Affinity doesnt have any XREF type objects/files yet as far I know, so fast iterative workflow still consists of manually replacing layers. You know another way in Affinity?
                  Kind Regards,
                  Morne

Comment

Soooooo if a LINKED smart object is essentially an XREF, then why is my PS filesize so HUGE? Shouldnt it only be a few k since all the layers are linked externally?
                    Kind Regards,
                    Morne

Comment

Its not a "real" link like in AE. It has to hold all the image info from linked images so that if you delete the linked files, the PSD is kept untouched. But I agree there should be an option for it to run as per AE so the PSD would be small.

Comment

if you link .psd file it should work as you expect from xref.
                        Marcin Piotrowski
                        youtube

Comment

Originally posted by piotrus3333 View Post
                          if you link .psd file it should work as you expect from xref.
                          you're missing the whole point of using linked smart objects in the 1st place
                          Kind Regards,
                          Morne

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
                            Soooooo if a LINKED smart object is essentially an XREF, then why is my PS filesize so HUGE? Shouldnt it only be a few k since all the layers are linked externally?
                            It is really heavy, I don't know why but so more flexible (of course depending on the workflow)
                            You will also see that if you have multiple 'automatic masked linked object', the performance of Photoshop will suffer, way more than with manual masks. However, since using this technique, our comp time is 73% faster... So I guess that a little extra weight and swearing at photoshop because it hangs a little kinda worth it.
                            Alain Blanchette
                            www.pixistudio.com

Comment

Originally posted by thablanch View Post
                              Did a small template, You could try this. Works fine over here, no jagged edges.
                              Did it on a black and white smart object mask

https://we.tl/t-isU22XhQKB
                              what is the reason behind screen blend mode and shallow knockout on masking smart object?

regarding linking psd files - still an option for large files, just automate updating the linked psd with action.
                              Marcin Piotrowski
                              youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X