Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unity guys - how do you deal with your VRay max materials?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unity guys - how do you deal with your VRay max materials?

Hi guys

How do you deal with getting your vray materials from max unti Unity? Is there some kind of 3rd party app that converts them, or do you manually recreate it in Unity with the standard shader or use something like substance?

(Yes I know about datasmith and about VRay for Unreal, the question is specifically for Unity guys)
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Max 2019 has the capability to build your own 'Unity' environment, the software used to be called Stingray, now it's called Max Interactive and it's free, apart from VRay Blendmtl, it seems to 'understand' VRay materials, there are a few other glitches, but overall VRay materials go straight into Max interactive. All the lighting UVs are a doddle, something I couldn't get to work properly in Unity.

Comment

Errr how does this help me get Vray materials into Unity?
      Last edited by Morne; 02-11-2018, 02:28 AM.
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

The only thing I know is that theVRayPluginNodeMtl has a Unity mode.
        So when you setup your scene using that only you'll be able to use the textures and settings in Unity. But I think it probably won't translate automatically.
        I never have projects where fitting both worlds is a must. It's always either one or the other. For unity projects I use standard materials. They keep the name and color from max and once you setup a material in unity you can use it across the scene and tell unity to search for the material name. So every object which uses that material will find the same material coming from a different object and use it. So you just have to set up the materials once. For that you must tell unity it shell use the legacy way of importing materials. To be honest I have no idea why they changed that.
        German guy, sorry for my English.

Comment

you will probably be recreating in unity, as the pbr workflow uses the RGB and alpha channels of your textures to control smoothness/glossiness etc...bit of fiddling. Or use substance painter, which exports to unity with these set up.

https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/...stance-painter
          e: info@adriandenne.com
          w: www.adriandenne.com

Comment

Working...
          X