Local asset caching for batch renders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local asset caching for batch renders

We're in a temporary space for a few months and we may have to shut down our server over the weekend due to A/C issues. While we don't have renders running every weekend, it's not uncommon for bigger jobs to take a couple of days to complete so I'm wondering if it's possible to cache assets locally for batch renders kind like the "transfer missing assets" option in Distributed Rendering. Anyone know of an automated way to handle something like that?

There is ‘a way’, I just don’t know if it’s exactly what you’re looking for. You can use a couple of environment variables to cache assets locally on any machine running V-Ray for Maya or V-Ray Standalone - https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...ment+Variables look for
    VRAY_LOCAL_CACHE_LIMIT_TYPE and VRAY_LOCAL_CACHE_LIMIT_VALUE

They work together so you need both. Because they are environment variables - they need to be set before the process is started.

I hope it’s what you’re looking for.
    Keep in mind those work only in V-Ray Next for this purpose, in V-Ray 3.x they could only set the limit for storing assets trasferred for DR, but with Next they can be used in a more flexible way and they will work for the Maya instance too, not just V-Ray Standalone.

Alex
    Last edited by yolov; 12-11-2018, 02:13 PM.
    Alex Yolov
    Product Manager
    V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
    www.chaos.com

Comment

Ah, thanks Alex but we haven't moved to Next yet.

Comment

Working...
      X