No announcement yet.

How does Lumion work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do wonder what CG have planned for the future because IMHO they're currently behind in both CPU and GPU markets. Almost reminds me of how Autodesk are falling behind the likes of C4D, Blender and Houdini. However I have much more faith in the guys at Chaos Group than I do the monkeys at Autodesk. Currently, Corona is streets ahead of Vray CPU - which I think is the reason for the acquisition and the likes of Fstorm and Redshift are making Vray GPU look like a Tesla vs F1 cars.

I've stopped using Vray at home because on my CPU (4790k) the IPR of Corona is much quicker and I'm gonna pick up an Fstorm license because I can't stand Vray GPU re-rendering everything whenever I make small changes.

That said, on a professional level, these engines have a long way to go before they can replace Vray as the industry standard.
    CGI Artist @ Staud Studios

Comment

I'm planning to get a Lumion license... It's not realtime but it is very fast and enough for what I need...The main benefit of Lumion is the asset library (over 5K objects ) and the way to create a scene is very quick...The only thing is holding me back is the price and the upgrade price.... $3400/$over 1000
      so if they have a new version every year you pay over $1000 a year...it would be the most expensive piece of software I would have.....I don't like the interface, it looks like a HTML webpage.
      show me the money!!

Comment

I got my license of Lumion...I did some tests ....rendertime less than 20 seconds.
        of course, they are not Vray or Corona quality but enough to talk to clients.
        (updated views- about 40 seconds per view)
        Attached Files
        Last edited by flino2004; 25-12-2018, 08:41 PM.
        show me the money!!

Comment

I tried demo version recently. Just a few hours but enough to be impressed. One silly thing though: you are limited to 16:9 format.
          Marcin Piotrowski
          youtube

Comment

Originally posted by flino2004 View Post
            I got my license of Lumion...I did some tests ....rendertime less than 20 seconds.
            of course, they are not Vray or Corona quality but enough to talk to clients.
            Better than a bad VRay or Corona render. I have been getting calls recently from Architects who can't seem to get a good enough quality out of Lumion to satisfy their clients.
            Bobby Parker
            www.bobby-parker.com
            e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
            phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
            • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
            • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
            • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I've seen a lot of good stuff from Lumion, especially animations.... you could create very good renderings in Lumion if you know how to use it like any rendering engine.
              I design houses so I'm my client for renderings...I like vray but I like Corona even more for the quality and the time you have to spend tweaking setting (zero) ...only materials, composition and lighting... I like Lumion because I can generate images to talk to clients in few minutes and render time in seconds and animation in a few hours....I like Enscape because I can design the house and be inside my design in real time, validate or improve my design like is already built on scale 1:1. They are in different markets but all of them are great but if my main job is producing renderings I would pick Vray/Corona.

show me the money!!

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
                Better than a bad VRay or Corona render. I have been getting calls recently from Architects who can't seem to get a good enough quality out of Lumion to satisfy their clients.
                That is more to do with the user than the software. They expect to load a model into Lumion and press the pretty art button. Where Lumion really falls down is in the interior space with minimal outside lighting, ditto on Enscape for that one as well.

Comment

it would probably take 1-2h to show an architect how to get the most out of Lumion and explain lighting setup. that is quite something.
                  it might be considered expensive but you save on hardware. just add 500$ gaming gpu and done.
                  Marcin Piotrowski
                  youtube

Comment

Originally posted by AC5L4T3R View Post
                    I do wonder what CG have planned for the future because IMHO they're currently behind in both CPU and GPU markets. Almost reminds me of how Autodesk are falling behind the likes of C4D, Blender and Houdini. However I have much more faith in the guys at Chaos Group than I do the monkeys at Autodesk. Currently, Corona is streets ahead of Vray CPU - which I think is the reason for the acquisition and the likes of Fstorm and Redshift are making Vray GPU look like a Tesla vs F1 cars.

I've stopped using Vray at home because on my CPU (4790k) the IPR of Corona is much quicker and I'm gonna pick up an Fstorm license because I can't stand Vray GPU re-rendering everything whenever I make small changes.

That said, on a professional level, these engines have a long way to go before they can replace Vray as the industry standard.
                    Well, you should try Next Update 1. It resolved all my issues I had with V-Ray, namely the IPR speed and lens effects. I am barely missing anything now.
                    https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Originally posted by kosso_olli View Post

Well, you should try Next Update 1. It resolved all my issues I had with V-Ray, namely the IPR speed and lens effects. I am barely missing anything now.
                      I've tried it, and yes it resolved all my issues too
                      CGI Artist @ Staud Studios

Comment

Originally posted by AC5L4T3R View Post

I've tried it, and yes it resolved all my issues too
                        Great to hear! If you have anything missing, tell Chaos. The more automotive guys speak up about problems, the better
                        https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

VRay GPU IPR is already there...just needs animation capability

Comment

Working...
                          X