ArionFX colour issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ArionFX colour issues

For some reason whenever I open a 32bit image in ArionFX from photoshop the colours never match. See image. Everything in Arion has been disabled so it isn't some grading or anything that is doing this.

I would normally post this on the Arion forum, but sadly the ArionFX forum support is so crappy that the same question by another forum user has been left unanswered since march! The 2nd post from the top so it's not like its been buried somewhere. So I will give it a try here as I know a few of you also use it. According to that forum post turning off ICM fixes the issue. However I haven't found any button that does this and a search in the arion user documentation doesn't even give a result what it is.

So can anyone give me a quick answer/fix for this? Thanks!

Dean

Can you show the settings in the Tonemap section from Arion?
    https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Hi Oliver,

See image. Whether I turn them on or off doesn't change the different colouring between the photoshop image and the one in the arionFX screen. Obviously if I start choosing other profiles they get toned but the base is always off. I've turned it on in the example to combat the original being blown out when in arion, After applying the arionFX toning/bloom/ect the image in photoshop is "correct" again. But it makes it nearly impossible to do any worthwhile grading in arion as the colour in their menu is never the same as the result in photoshop. I just use it for bloom and glare now.
      Last edited by dean_dmoo; 25-11-2018, 10:33 AM.

Comment

have you looked into color menagement in ps? never had this issue.
        do exr images also look different?
        Marcin Piotrowski
        youtube

Comment

Hi Piotrus,

Thanks for the question, that helped me figure it out.

So I looked at the profiles and this is what happened;

- The 16bit tiff has no colour management and matches the vray buffer
          - The 32bit tiff has an embedded "XYZ profile". When opening it I always choose to leave it as is as I figured I didn't alter the other ones either. Viewing it in photoshop it was pretty similar to the 16bit in colours and matched the non adjusted image in the vray.buffer
          - The 32bit exr has the sRGB profile and matches the colours of the 16 and 32bit tiff and vray buffer.

- When opening the 32bit tiff in Arion it changes the colour from the photoshop image with all the settings turned off
          - When opening the 32bit exr in Arion the colour matches the photoshop image with all settings turned off

So the solution was to allow photoshop to convert the colour profile of the 32bit tiff from the XYZ profile to sRGB. Then it was fine in Arion.

Don't know where in vray the XYZ profile comes from though....

Comment

When saving TIFF files we use the 3ds Max image saver, so the color profile comes from 3ds Max. I'm not exactly sure if there are any settings to control that, I have to check.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
            X