Remote desktop in Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote desktop in Windows 10

Can anyone offer some guidance for this please.

Having upgraded various computers, my old workstation is now going to be a render node. I've tested both VRay DR and a Backburner job and it works well. As this machine will not have a monitor connected to it (just power and ethernet) I need to be able to remote desktop into it. The OS is Windows 10. On all our older Windows 7 machines, remote desktop works as expected, however, with this machine I cannot log in regardless of the credentials I use. I really don't want to use a 3rd party app if I don't have to - just the inbuilt Windows Remote Desktop capability.

The machine I am logging in FROM is also a Windows 10 machine.

On the node machine, there is something called Microsoft Remote Desktop assistant. Launching this gives very simple instructions of the info you need: the PC name (which in this case is showing as the IP address of the machine) and the User name (which in this case is showing as DESKTOP-COMPUTERNAME/rich
    I have tried entering these from the new workstation but it doesn't work.

There is an option to save the credentials to a file that should be run from the machine you want to log in from. I have tried this, but for some reason it still says the credentials do not work.

I have tried so many combinations of usernames and passwords. I've disabled the firewall. Rebooted. Pulled my hair out quite a bit.

Nothing seems to work.

Any pointers?

(sod it, I'll use TightVNC like I used 10 years ago - you'd think windows would have improved in that time)
    Last edited by tricky; 30-11-2018, 07:08 AM.
    Kind Regards,
    Richard Birket
    ----------------------------------->
    http://www.blinkimage.com

----------------------------------->

When Ive run into this its either been fixed by changing the name from ip to the pc name or logging in with the account associated with the rendernode.

Another recent issue with a win10 update is that they turned off a certain security feature that blocked the connection. So you had to manually turn it back on in the windows settings. Cant remember what is was called but a google search for the past few months should show it.

They also both need to be win10 pro but i assume thats the case. Something I recently discovered with my laptop, which had worked with remote desktop for a year as windows 10 home but now asks for a 110euro update to win pro. Nice for a 2000euro laptop!
    Last edited by dean_dmoo; 30-11-2018, 07:15 AM.

Comment

I use Chrome Remote Desktop, though I find its laggy performance an annoyance (though not sure others fare any better in that regard).
      Jez

------------------------------------
      3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
      Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
      ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

Comment

Working...
      X